Steelheads Net Four-Unanswered, Stay Unbeaten in 5-2 Win over Thunder
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (4-0-0) scored four-unanswered goals starting in the second period to help take a 5-2 win over the Wichita Thunder (1-2-2) on Saturday night at CenturyLink Arena.
For the first time this season, the Steelheads conceded the first goal of the game, and at 5:43 of the first period it was Thunder forward Fabrizio Ricci to find the back of the net on a 2-on-1 break and the early 1-0 lead. Steelheads forward Will Merchant added his second-straight night with a tally thanks to a deflection coming from a shot by defenseman Tanner Jago at 12:03 to level the score, 1-1. However, the Thunder grabbed back the lead, 2-1, before the end of the frame at 15:57 on a shot by forward Steve Iacobellis.
Defense was the key in the second period, and the Steelheads led that effort on both ends of the ice. Starting at 1:44, the Steelheads found back-to-back defenseman scoring when Brady Norrish stepped up for a shot in the left circle to tie the game at 2-2. Then, at 5:06, Steelheads defenseman Jeff King followed up his own shot with a secondary chance set up by forward Marc-Olivier Roy to take their first lead of the night, 3-2.
In the third period, the Steelheads spread out their lead starting at 8:19 thanks to help of a fortunate bounce, leading Merchant to his second goal of the night to double the lead, 4-2. As the Thunder pressed with the extra attacker on, Steelheads defenseman Colton Saucerman fired a shot from goal line to goal line at 18:19 to seal off the 5-2 win.
Steelheads goaltender Colton Point (1-0-0) halted 31 of 33 shots in the win, while Thunder netminder Mitch Gillam (1-2-1) stopped 29 of 33 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads begin a three-game road weekend with a meeting against the Thunder on Friday, Oct. 25 at 6:50 p.m. from INTRUST Bank Arena in Wichita, Kan. Coverage begins at 5:45 p.m. on 1350-AM KTIK and ECHL.TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Friday, Nov. 1 at 7:10 p.m. against the Utah Grizzlies. Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to plan your seats for this season, including single-game, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2019
- Kallgren Earns First ECHL Win as Rush Sweep Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Close Weekend with Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Edge Fuel in Last Minute Win - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Get More Last Minute Magic in 4-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- DiChiara Scores Game-Winning Goal in Wild 3rd to Spike Mariners, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Blown Leads Doom Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Rally from Three Goals Down But Run out of Gas in Reading - Maine Mariners
- Atlanta Tallies Second Straight Win over Swamp Rabbits - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Americans Beat Utah in Overtime to Earn Weekend Split - Allen Americans
- Royals and Mariners Tangle Sunday at 4:00 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose 5-4 in Overtime in Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Oilers Drop Fourth Straight - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Make Triumphant Return to Fort Wayne - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Net Four-Unanswered, Stay Unbeaten in 5-2 Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Three Second Period Goals Propel Florida to a 4-2 Win over Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Parks Earns First ECHL Shutout in 5-0 Rush Win - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grabs Early Lead and Cruises to 10-4 Win - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Ondrej Vala Assigned to Steelheads Ahead of Home Stand
- Steelheads Return Home, Host Puck Giveaway & Keep Kids Warm
- Steelheads Weekly - November 18, 2019
- Steelheads Finish Road Trip with 3-1 Loss to Americans
- Steelheads Late Goal Helps to Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Oilers