Nailers Edge Fuel in Last Minute Win
WHEELING, WV. - In a stunning repeat of last night the Wheeling Nailers (2-2-0-0) edge the Indy Fuel (2-2-0-0) in the last minute of the game to win 4-3 for the second time of the weekend at the WesBanco Arena Sunday evening.
In a very similar situation to last nights game the Fuel and the Nailers were tied heading into the final minutes of play. The Nailers got an extra attacker at 19:29 and were able to take advantage of the power play when Yushiroh Hirano blasted a wrist shot from the top of the right circle to sweep the Fuel in the best of two series.
The Fuel started off the game a bit differently than last night with a goal from Bobby MacIntyre less than five minutes into the first period. The Fuel then followed up with a second score with five minutes remaining in the first when Ben Youds fired a shot from the blue line that was redirected by Alex Krushelnyski in front of the net to bring the Fuel to 2-0 at the end of the first.
The lone goal in the second period came from Nailer forward Cam Brown who sniped a shot from in between the two circles over goaltender Chase Marchand's shoulder to give Wheeling their first point of the game.
Wheeling came out of the gates hot in the third period when Hirano tapped in a rebound off the one-timer from Blake Siebenaler to bring the score to two within the first minute of the third. Spencer Watson got his fourth goal of the season at 9:44 to give Indy the lead again but it was short lived as Brandon Hawkins made the game even at the 3:16 mark. Hirano picked up his third of the season on a dramatic last minute goal to win the game with 26 seconds remaining.
Marchand finished with 27 saves on 31 shots while Alex D'Orio made 18 saves on 21 shots. The Fuel were 0-for-3 on the power play tonight while the Nailers were 2-for-5.
The Indy Fuel look to play their first two games at home for the 2019-20 season this Friday and Saturday vs. the Cincinnati Cyclones at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum.
Single-Game tickets are now available for the entire 2019-20 Fuel season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Fans can also take advantage of a wide variety of Ticket Plans by calling 317-925-FUEL or visiting IndyFuelHockey.com. Don't miss a second of the action during the 2019-20 season - follow the Fuel on Twitter and Instagram (@IndyFuel) and 'Like' the Fuel on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2019
- Kallgren Earns First ECHL Win as Rush Sweep Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Close Weekend with Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Edge Fuel in Last Minute Win - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Get More Last Minute Magic in 4-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- DiChiara Scores Game-Winning Goal in Wild 3rd to Spike Mariners, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Blown Leads Doom Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Rally from Three Goals Down But Run out of Gas in Reading - Maine Mariners
- Atlanta Tallies Second Straight Win over Swamp Rabbits - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Americans Beat Utah in Overtime to Earn Weekend Split - Allen Americans
- Royals and Mariners Tangle Sunday at 4:00 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose 5-4 in Overtime in Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Oilers Drop Fourth Straight - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Make Triumphant Return to Fort Wayne - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Net Four-Unanswered, Stay Unbeaten in 5-2 Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Three Second Period Goals Propel Florida to a 4-2 Win over Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Parks Earns First ECHL Shutout in 5-0 Rush Win - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grabs Early Lead and Cruises to 10-4 Win - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.