Nailers Get More Last Minute Magic in 4-3 Win
WHEELING, WV - For the second day in a row, the Wheeling Nailers saved the best for last, and came away with a remarkable 4-3 home triumph over the Indy Fuel at WesBanco Arena. Yushiroh Hirano netted his second goal of the day with 26 seconds remaining in the third period, giving Wheeling a sweep of the two-game weekend set.
The Fuel got off to a fast start, scoring twice in the opening stanza. The first goal came at the 4:43 mark, when Spencer Watson fed Bobby MacIntyre for a one-timer from below the left face-off circle. Indy's second tally came off a redirection, as Alex Krushelnyski got a piece of Ben Youds' attempt from the right point.
The lone marker in the middle frame went to the Nailers, who trimmed their deficit to one. Yushiroh Hirano skated the puck over the blueline, then fed Cam Brown, who battled through a check to free himself in the slot, where he snapped a shot into the right side of the cage.
Wheeling drew even in the opening minute of the third period, when Hirano grabbed the rebound of Blake Siebenaler's shot, and proceeded to stash it into the right side of the net. Spencer Watson regained the lead for the Fuel, but the Nailers responded with their power play. Brandon Hawkins squared the tilt at three with a rocket from the high slot at the 13:16 mark. Then, with 26 seconds remaining, Hirano roofed a shot from the top of the right circle, giving Wheeling its second dramatic win in a row. That strike also occurred on the man advantage.
Alex D'Orio collected his first professional victory for the Nailers, making 18 saves on 21 shots. Chase Marchand took the loss for Indy, stopping 27 of the 31 shots he faced.
The Nailers have two more home games coming up next weekend. Friday night is Freaky Friday, when fans wear their Halloween costumes to the game. That is also the first Frosty Friday of the season, as well as the first-ever match against the Tulsa Oilers at 7:05. On Saturday at 7:05, Wheeling hosts the Reading Royals on Hockey Fights Cancer Night. Fans can purchase Love Your Melon Ticket Packages, which include a limited edition beanie, plus the Nailers will be wearing special jerseys. Season tickets, partial plans, and group tickets are also available. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, partial plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2019
- Kallgren Earns First ECHL Win as Rush Sweep Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Close Weekend with Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Edge Fuel in Last Minute Win - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Get More Last Minute Magic in 4-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- DiChiara Scores Game-Winning Goal in Wild 3rd to Spike Mariners, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Blown Leads Doom Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Rally from Three Goals Down But Run out of Gas in Reading - Maine Mariners
- Atlanta Tallies Second Straight Win over Swamp Rabbits - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Americans Beat Utah in Overtime to Earn Weekend Split - Allen Americans
- Royals and Mariners Tangle Sunday at 4:00 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose 5-4 in Overtime in Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Oilers Drop Fourth Straight - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Make Triumphant Return to Fort Wayne - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Net Four-Unanswered, Stay Unbeaten in 5-2 Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Three Second Period Goals Propel Florida to a 4-2 Win over Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Parks Earns First ECHL Shutout in 5-0 Rush Win - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grabs Early Lead and Cruises to 10-4 Win - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.