Americans Beat Utah in Overtime to Earn Weekend Split
Allen, Texas - The Allen Americans comeback on Saturday night earned them a weekend split with the Utah Grizzlies, in 5-4 overtime victory at Allen Event Center in front of a crowd of 4,805.
Shawn O'Donnell (1) and Olivier Archambault (2), both scored in the opening period to give the Americans a 2-1 lead after twenty minutes of play
Gabe Gagne, scored his first of the night at 9:08 of the second period to give Allen a 3-1 lead. Utah would put on a charge late in the second period scoring three goals in less than four minutes to take their first lead of the hockey game 4-3, and lead by that score after two periods of play outshooting Allen 21 to 6 in the second period.
Stepan Falkovsky scored the only goal in the third period as he walked around the Utah defense in the left circle and skated to the front of the Grizzlies net, putting the puck top shelf for his third of the season to tie the game at 4-4.
Gabe Gagne was the hero in overtime as he took a pass from Les Lancaster and fired one past Grizzles goalie Mason McDonald for the game winner as the Americans improved to 3-1 on the season.
They Said It - Olivier Archambault
Question: You had two assists and one goal tonight. How critical was it to get the lead early after last night's loss?
Answer: "I think it was huge. We were ready to start this game. I think that's what we have to do every night. We have a good team. We have to have that same intensity next weekend."
Question: What fueled tonight's win?
Answer: "Obviously with the loss last night where we gave up 10 goals, that's pretty bad. We came back hard tonight and grabbed the early lead but unfortunately we couldn't hold it. This team was not about to quit. Gagne (Gabe) had the big one for us in OT. It was a huge win."
Question: What's the mindset going into next week's series with Idaho?
Answer: "Probably the same we plan we had tonight. Play simple, play hard and at the end everything will go well."
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2019
- Kallgren Earns First ECHL Win as Rush Sweep Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Close Weekend with Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Edge Fuel in Last Minute Win - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Get More Last Minute Magic in 4-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- DiChiara Scores Game-Winning Goal in Wild 3rd to Spike Mariners, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Blown Leads Doom Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Rally from Three Goals Down But Run out of Gas in Reading - Maine Mariners
- Atlanta Tallies Second Straight Win over Swamp Rabbits - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Americans Beat Utah in Overtime to Earn Weekend Split - Allen Americans
- Royals and Mariners Tangle Sunday at 4:00 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose 5-4 in Overtime in Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Oilers Drop Fourth Straight - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Make Triumphant Return to Fort Wayne - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Net Four-Unanswered, Stay Unbeaten in 5-2 Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Three Second Period Goals Propel Florida to a 4-2 Win over Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Parks Earns First ECHL Shutout in 5-0 Rush Win - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grabs Early Lead and Cruises to 10-4 Win - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Allen Americans Stories
- Americans Add Top-Two Defenseman Turner Ottenbreit
- Riley Gill's #30 to be Retired December 19th
- Allen Americans Build Marketing Unit with Tyler Vertin & Casey Rusnak
- Americans Welcome Back Former Kelly Cup Winner Dyson Stevenson
- Goalie CJ Motte Returns to Allen After a Season in Europe