Atlanta Tallies Second Straight Win over Swamp Rabbits
GREENVILLE, SC- The Atlanta Gladiators earned their second victory in a 24-hour window over the Greenville Swamp Rabbits Sunday afternoon at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in upstate South Carolina. Joel Messner netted the final two goals to give the Glads a 4-3 win.
Liam Pecararo struck first for the home team about six minutes, but it was Atlanta's leading scorer Scott Conway that struck in the first to level the score. Joona Koppanen and Dante Hannoun continued their hot starts with assists on the opening goal. Greenville reclaimed the lead just :53 seconds later. The Gladiators' potent offense did not stay down for long, as Hannoun earned another assist on a Tommy Marchin goal to cap the first period.
Patrick Bajkov helped the Swamp Rabbits take a 3-2 lead early in the second period, but it was veteran defenseman Joel Messner that stepped up for the Gladiators in the latter stages of the contest. Nick Bligh fed Messner before the blue line blast that tied the game with just over two minutes left in the second frame.
Messner struck against when Marchin and Sam Asselin assisted on his second goal of the afternoon. That tally proved to be the game-winner as Sean Bonar and the Glads' defense held off Greenville for their second straight win.
Atlanta continues their ECHL slate Friday evening in Greenville against these same Swamp Rabbits at 7:05 PM. The Gladiators return to Infinite Energy Arena on Sunday, November 3rdat 2:05 PM for the Dia de los Muertos bobblehead giveaway and meet and greet experience with a select number of Atlanta United players.
The Atlanta Gladiators open the 2019-20 season home schedule on October 18th and 19th at the Infinite Energy Arena. Fans can purchase tickets by visiting www.atlantagladiators.com or by calling the front office at (770) 497- 5100.
The Atlanta Gladiators are members of the ECHL, the nation's premier "AA" hockey league and are the Affiliate of the Eastern Conference Champion Boston Bruins. All home games are played at the 9,119-seat Infinite Energy Arena, located just off I-85 on Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth, Georgia. The Gladiators have established an unrivaled commitment to excellence, maintaining a distinctive reputation for providing fun, friendly, family, affordable entertainment and are consistently ranked as one of the best "Things to Do" in the Atlanta Metro area and across the North Georgia region.
Images from this story
Atlanta Gladiators face off with the Greenville Swamp Rabbits
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2019
- Kallgren Earns First ECHL Win as Rush Sweep Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Close Weekend with Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Edge Fuel in Last Minute Win - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Get More Last Minute Magic in 4-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- DiChiara Scores Game-Winning Goal in Wild 3rd to Spike Mariners, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Blown Leads Doom Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Rally from Three Goals Down But Run out of Gas in Reading - Maine Mariners
- Atlanta Tallies Second Straight Win over Swamp Rabbits - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Americans Beat Utah in Overtime to Earn Weekend Split - Allen Americans
- Royals and Mariners Tangle Sunday at 4:00 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose 5-4 in Overtime in Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Oilers Drop Fourth Straight - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Make Triumphant Return to Fort Wayne - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Net Four-Unanswered, Stay Unbeaten in 5-2 Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Three Second Period Goals Propel Florida to a 4-2 Win over Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Parks Earns First ECHL Shutout in 5-0 Rush Win - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grabs Early Lead and Cruises to 10-4 Win - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.