Urena Drives in Five as Bisons Top RailRiders, 8-7
Reduced to the role of spoiler for the final four games of the 2019 season, the Bisons tried to do just thank Friday night against the team the eliminated them from postseason contention just a night before.
Richard Urena homered and drove in five of the Herd's eight runs in an 8-7 victory over the RailRiders from PNC Field in Moosic, PA. Andy Burns added his 17th home run of the season and Blue Jays top prospect Nate Pearson worked five innings for his first career Triple-A victory.
When the RailRiders defeated the PawSox in the second game of a doubleheader Thursday night it officially eliminated the Bisons from having a chance at the IL North Division. In a dead heat with Syracuse for that top spot, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre looked to be in good shape again Friday with a 4-1 lead over the Herd after four innings.
But a Bisons team that hasn't quit all season showed some of that resiliency once again by scoring seven unanswered runs to pick up their 70th win of the season. It all started in the fifth when with two outs, Urena crushed a pitch from Deivi Garcia that was nearly at his eye level and drove it into the right field party area for a three-run homer.
In the sixth, Urena gave the Herd the lead without swinging the bat. Buffalo loaded the bases with three straight singles from Forrest Wall, Santiago Espinal and Roemon Fields but were in danger of letting the opportunity slip by as Anthony Alford and Socrates Brito struck out. Despite falling down 0-2 himself, Urena worked an eight-pitch walk to give Buffalo the 5-4 lead.
Burns' career-best 17th home run in the sixth gave Buffalo a two-run lead, which the team then doubled in the eighth when Urena hit a sacrifice fly after Brito's run-scoring triple to right.
Urena finished the game 2-3 with the five RBI that give him 51 on the season. He also drew a pair of walks in reaching base four times.
The Bisons needed every bit of that 8-4 lead as RaildRiders catcher Kyle Higashioka crushed a three-run home run to centerfield to close the gap to just one. Jackson McLelland rebounded from the homer to retire Trey Amburgey on a fly ball to end the game.
Pearson worked the first five innings of the game and struck out five to pick up his first win in three starts with the Bisons. The righty did allow seven hits and three walks but did straight five runners. He gave free passes to the first two batters in the fifth inning and threw a wild pitch, but got out of that jam with a fly ball and his last two punchouts on the night.
Zack Jackson worked a pair of shutout innings to keep the lead intact and lower his season ERA to 3.97.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 30, 2019
- RailRiders can't hold off Bisons' rally in the middle innings in Friday night loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Craig Homers as Clippers Two-Hit Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Urena Drives in Five as Bisons Top RailRiders, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Clinch IL South Division Title Despite Loss in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs split doubleheader in Pawtucket - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Durham Bulls
- "Above Average" Wings Beat Syracuse 6-1 - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Shut out 2-0 in Norfolk - Charlotte Knights
- Shepherd Controls Knights in 2-0 Win - Norfolk Tides
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Red Wings, 6-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Fall to Mud Hens on Friday Night, 2-0 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Hit Milestone 500th Sellout - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-71) vs. Columbus Clippers (77-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Indy Announces 2019 Award Winners - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Announce 2020 Schedule - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-79) at Toledo Mud Hens (65-71) - Louisville Bats
- Montgomery Joins SWB for Rehab Start Tonight - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 2020 Durham Bulls Home Schedule Announced - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Governors' Cup Playoff Preview - August 30, 2019 - IL
- Mets Win Regular Season Home Finale and Regain Share of First Place - Syracuse Mets
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Splits Twinbill at Pawtucket - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.