IronPigs split doubleheader in Pawtucket
(Pawtucket, RI) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (64-73) split their doubleheader with the Pawtucket Red Sox (58-79) on Friday evening. Pawtucket won the first game 6-4, while Lehigh Valley won the second game 7-4.
IronPigs starting pitcher Ramon Rosso (2-4) had his struggles as he allowed six runs off eight hits in 3 2/3 innings to receive his fourth loss of the season.
Rob Brantly did give Lehigh Valley a 1-0 lead in the top of the second inning against PawSox starting pitcher Erasmo Ramirez (6-8). He hit an RBI single to score Jose Pirela. Pawtucket answered with two runs against Rosso in the bottom of the third inning as Michael Chavis hit a two-run home run.
Pirela tied the game at 2-2 by hitting a home run off Ramirez in the top of the fourth inning. Pawtucket proceeded to score four runs against Rosso in the bottom of the fourth inning to take a 6-2 lead. C.J. Chatham hit a two-run single and Chavis hit his second two-run home run of the game.
The Pigs added two more runs to cut the lead 6-4 in the top of the sixth inning. Brantly hit an RBI single and Shane Robinson hit an RBI double. Bobby Poyner earned his sixth save of the season by pitching 1 1/3 scoreless innings in relief to close out the game.
Maikel Franco hit a two-run home run against Mike Shawaryn in the top of the first inning to give Lehigh Valley a 2-0 lead. Pawtucket tied the game at 2-2 against Jose Taveras in the bottom of the first inning as Tate Matheny hit a two-run single.
The PawSox took a 4-2 lead against Taveras and the IronPigs in the bottom of the second inning as Oscar Hernandez hit a two-run home run. Taveras pitched four innings before Fernando Salas pitched a scoreless fifth inning in relief.
Ali Castillo hit an RBI double off Shawaryn in the top of the fifth inning to score Malquin Canelo and cut the PawSox lead to 4-3. Lehigh Valley proceeded to score four runs off Domingo Tapia (4-4) in the top of the seventh inning to take a 7-4 lead. Deivy Grullon hit an RBI single, Austin Listi hit a sacrifice fly and Jose Pirela hit a two-run single. Connor Brogdon (3-1) pitched two scoreless innings in relief for his third win of the season.
The IronPigs and PawSox play at 6:15 p.m. from McCoy Stadium on Saturday evening.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 30, 2019
- RailRiders can't hold off Bisons' rally in the middle innings in Friday night loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Craig Homers as Clippers Two-Hit Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Urena Drives in Five as Bisons Top RailRiders, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Clinch IL South Division Title Despite Loss in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs split doubleheader in Pawtucket - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Durham Bulls
- "Above Average" Wings Beat Syracuse 6-1 - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Shut out 2-0 in Norfolk - Charlotte Knights
- Shepherd Controls Knights in 2-0 Win - Norfolk Tides
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Red Wings, 6-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Fall to Mud Hens on Friday Night, 2-0 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Hit Milestone 500th Sellout - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-71) vs. Columbus Clippers (77-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Indy Announces 2019 Award Winners - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Announce 2020 Schedule - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-79) at Toledo Mud Hens (65-71) - Louisville Bats
- Montgomery Joins SWB for Rehab Start Tonight - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 2020 Durham Bulls Home Schedule Announced - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Governors' Cup Playoff Preview - August 30, 2019 - IL
- Mets Win Regular Season Home Finale and Regain Share of First Place - Syracuse Mets
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Splits Twinbill at Pawtucket - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- Service Electric Network to Televise Phillies Taxi Squad Games
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs 2020 Season Is Canceled
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast
- 'All Abilities' Night Features Sign Language Jersey Auction
- Pig Day Celebration to be Held Friday, March 6