IronPigs split doubleheader in Pawtucket
(Pawtucket, RI) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (64-73) split their doubleheader with the Pawtucket Red Sox (58-79) on Friday evening. Pawtucket won the first game 6-4, while Lehigh Valley won the second game 7-4.
IronPigs starting pitcher Ramon Rosso (2-4) had his struggles as he allowed six runs off eight hits in 3 2/3 innings to receive his fourth loss of the season.
Rob Brantly did give Lehigh Valley a 1-0 lead in the top of the second inning against PawSox starting pitcher Erasmo Ramirez (6-8). He hit an RBI single to score Jose Pirela. Pawtucket answered with two runs against Rosso in the bottom of the third inning as Michael Chavis hit a two-run home run.
Pirela tied the game at 2-2 by hitting a home run off Ramirez in the top of the fourth inning. Pawtucket proceeded to score four runs against Rosso in the bottom of the fourth inning to take a 6-2 lead. C.J. Chatham hit a two-run single and Chavis hit his second two-run home run of the game.
The Pigs added two more runs to cut the lead 6-4 in the top of the sixth inning. Brantly hit an RBI single and Shane Robinson hit an RBI double. Bobby Poyner earned his sixth save of the season by pitching 1 1/3 scoreless innings in relief to close out the game.
Maikel Franco hit a two-run home run against Mike Shawaryn in the top of the first inning to give Lehigh Valley a 2-0 lead. Pawtucket tied the game at 2-2 against Jose Taveras in the bottom of the first inning as Tate Matheny hit a two-run single.
The PawSox took a 4-2 lead against Taveras and the IronPigs in the bottom of the second inning as Oscar Hernandez hit a two-run home run. Taveras pitched four innings before Fernando Salas pitched a scoreless fifth inning in relief.
Ali Castillo hit an RBI double off Shawaryn in the top of the fifth inning to score Malquin Canelo and cut the PawSox lead to 4-3. Lehigh Valley proceeded to score four runs off Domingo Tapia (4-4) in the top of the seventh inning to take a 7-4 lead. Deivy Grullon hit an RBI single, Austin Listi hit a sacrifice fly and Jose Pirela hit a two-run single. Connor Brogdon (3-1) pitched two scoreless innings in relief for his third win of the season.
The IronPigs and PawSox play at 6:15 p.m. from McCoy Stadium on Saturday evening.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 30, 2019
- RailRiders can't hold off Bisons' rally in the middle innings in Friday night loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Craig Homers as Clippers Two-Hit Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Urena Drives in Five as Bisons Top RailRiders, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Clinch IL South Division Title Despite Loss in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs split doubleheader in Pawtucket - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Durham Bulls
- "Above Average" Wings Beat Syracuse 6-1 - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Shut out 2-0 in Norfolk - Charlotte Knights
- Shepherd Controls Knights in 2-0 Win - Norfolk Tides
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Red Wings, 6-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Fall to Mud Hens on Friday Night, 2-0 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Hit Milestone 500th Sellout - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-71) vs. Columbus Clippers (77-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Indy Announces 2019 Award Winners - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Announce 2020 Schedule - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-79) at Toledo Mud Hens (65-71) - Louisville Bats
- Montgomery Joins SWB for Rehab Start Tonight - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 2020 Durham Bulls Home Schedule Announced - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Governors' Cup Playoff Preview - August 30, 2019 - IL
- Mets Win Regular Season Home Finale and Regain Share of First Place - Syracuse Mets
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Splits Twinbill at Pawtucket - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.