Knights Shut out 2-0 in Norfolk
(NORFOLK, VA) - The Charlotte Knights began their final series of the regular season with a 2-0 loss to the Norfolk Tides in a pitcher's duel on Friday night at Harbor Park in the opener of their four-game set.
The loss drops the Knights into a tie with the Durham Bulls atop the International League Wild Card standings. Both teams currently own a record of 74-62 with three games remaining in the regular season.
Norfolk struck first in the bottom of the second as Zach Vincej walked off Charlotte starter Matt Tomshaw to put a runner on with two outs. Former Knight Jose Rondon then drove a double to center, scoring Vincej all the way from first with the game's first run.
That would be the only run Tomshaw (L, 4-2) surrendered. Over 4.0 innings, he gave up the run on five hits with one walk and two strikeouts to keep the game close.
In relief, rehabbing White Sox right-hander Carson Fulmer threw 1.2 clean innings with two strikeouts and Matt Foster kept the deficit at one with 1.1 scoreless frames of his own.
However, the Knights offense was unable to produce against Norfolk starter Chandler Shepherd. The Tides right-hander earned his second straight win over the Knights by tossing 8.0 scoreless innings with three walks and three strikeouts.
The Tides doubled the lead in the bottom of the eighth as Austin Hays came home on a passed ball to make it 2-0 Norfolk.
In the ninth, the Knights threatened as Luis Robert singled and Yermín Mercedes walked to put the tying runs on base. But in his Knights debut, Damek Tomscha stuck out to end the game and strand the runners.
Robert, Tomshca, and Ramón Torres each singled to combine for Charlotte's three hits while Zack Collins drew a pair of walks in the loss.
The Knights and Tides meet again on Saturday night. Pregame coverage of the 7:05 p.m. game is set for 6:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 30, 2019
- RailRiders can't hold off Bisons' rally in the middle innings in Friday night loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Craig Homers as Clippers Two-Hit Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Urena Drives in Five as Bisons Top RailRiders, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Clinch IL South Division Title Despite Loss in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs split doubleheader in Pawtucket - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Durham Bulls
- "Above Average" Wings Beat Syracuse 6-1 - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Shut out 2-0 in Norfolk - Charlotte Knights
- Shepherd Controls Knights in 2-0 Win - Norfolk Tides
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Red Wings, 6-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Fall to Mud Hens on Friday Night, 2-0 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Hit Milestone 500th Sellout - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-71) vs. Columbus Clippers (77-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Indy Announces 2019 Award Winners - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Announce 2020 Schedule - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-79) at Toledo Mud Hens (65-71) - Louisville Bats
- Montgomery Joins SWB for Rehab Start Tonight - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 2020 Durham Bulls Home Schedule Announced - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Governors' Cup Playoff Preview - August 30, 2019 - IL
- Mets Win Regular Season Home Finale and Regain Share of First Place - Syracuse Mets
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Splits Twinbill at Pawtucket - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Knights Launch "Fields for Our Future" Presented by Truist
- "Knights Care 4 CLT" Raised over $125,000 for Those in Need
- 2020 Charlotte Area High School Senior All-Star Classic Presented by Truist Set for July 9
- Official Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the 2020 Season
- Comedian Sid Davis to Entertain Fans at Truist Field on July 2nd