Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (7:05 p.m.)
August 30, 2019 | 7:05 p.m. ET | PNC Field | Moosic, PA| Game # 137| Road Game # 67
BUFFALO BISONS (69-67, 3rd, -4.0 North) at SCRANTON/WILKES-BARRE RAILRIDERS (73-63, T-1st, North)
RHP Nate Pearson (0-0, 1.38) vs. LHP Jordan Montgomery (NR)
Radio: ESPN 1520 AM, TuneIn App, Bisons.com TV: MiLB.tv
Tonight the Bisons will begin their final road trip to close out the 2019 season with game one of a four-game series against the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. Tomorrow the Herd and RailRiders will meet for a Saturday evening contest, while the season concludes with back-to-back afternoon matinees, on Sunday and Labor Day Monday.
Last Game: BUF 6, ROC 7
The long ball was the story of Thursday's Fan Appreciation Night at Sahlen Field. UTIL Patrick Kivlehan launched his 29th home run of the season to get Buffalo on the scoreboard in the second inning. It was also Kivelhan's 25th with Buffalo, becoming the first Bison since Mauro Gomez (29) in 2013 to accomplish the feat. OF Socrates Brito's fifth inning homer plated three runs to cap a four-run frame. C Michael De La Cruz gave the Herd a one-run lead in the seventh, but INF Zander Wiel's two-run home run in the eighth was the difference in the Red Wings' win.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (6-11)
Buffalo and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre are meeting one last time in 2019 for the sixth overall series of the year. The last time these two IL North rivals met was June 26-28 in Moosic.
RHP Nate Pearson heads to the hill for his third career Triple-A start wth the Bisons. The young right hander has allowed just two earned runs over 13 innings of work since being promoted from New Hampshire (AA). The 2017 1st round pick has struck out 10 while not allowing a walk through a pair of starts, including a seven inning, three-hit shutout performance at Rochester on August 20th.
OF Socrates Brito showed on Thursday night why he was named the Bisons Most Valuable Player. The veteran helped try and lead the way offensively with his 16th home run of the season that cashed in three, in addition to a two assist night in the outfield, including a throw out of OF Ian Miller at home plate in the fifth.
C Michael De La Cruz was named Buffalo's 2019 Joe DeSa Most Inspirational Player, an award voted on by the team. De La Cruz appeared in his 50th game of the season last night and finished a triple shy of a cycle, with 2 RBIs in a 3-4 day at the plate. His seventh inning solo home run was his fifth of the season.
IL North Standings
The Bisons have been eliminated from the postseason, despite being able to still force a three-way tie for the IL North crown with a sweep this weekend. The RailRiders split a doubleheader with Pawtucket, while Syracuse shut out Lehigh Valley to force a tie atop the IL North. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre holds the tiebreaker if the RailRiders, Mets, and Bisons all finish tied at 73-67.
Toronto (54-81) will begin a three-game weekend series against the Houston Astros tonight. RHP Trent Thornton gets the call in the opener at Rogers Centre against LHP Wade Miley starting at 7:07 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 30, 2019
- RailRiders can't hold off Bisons' rally in the middle innings in Friday night loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Craig Homers as Clippers Two-Hit Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Urena Drives in Five as Bisons Top RailRiders, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Clinch IL South Division Title Despite Loss in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs split doubleheader in Pawtucket - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Durham Bulls
- "Above Average" Wings Beat Syracuse 6-1 - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Shut out 2-0 in Norfolk - Charlotte Knights
- Shepherd Controls Knights in 2-0 Win - Norfolk Tides
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Red Wings, 6-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Fall to Mud Hens on Friday Night, 2-0 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Hit Milestone 500th Sellout - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-71) vs. Columbus Clippers (77-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Indy Announces 2019 Award Winners - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Announce 2020 Schedule - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-79) at Toledo Mud Hens (65-71) - Louisville Bats
- Montgomery Joins SWB for Rehab Start Tonight - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 2020 Durham Bulls Home Schedule Announced - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Governors' Cup Playoff Preview - August 30, 2019 - IL
- Mets Win Regular Season Home Finale and Regain Share of First Place - Syracuse Mets
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Splits Twinbill at Pawtucket - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Bisons GM Mike Buczkowski Named 2019 International League "Executive of the Year"
- 'Ballpark Brew Bash' Craft Beer Festival Returns to Sahlen Field September 21
- Ballpark Golf Returns with â??The Sahlen Field Links' September 18-20
- Bisons End Season on Winning Note, 5-3 over RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (12:05 p.m.)