Mets Drop Series Opener to Red Wings, 6-1
Rochester, NY - The Syracuse Mets lost to the Rochester Red Wings, 6-1, on Friday night at Frontier Field. Jason Krizan had two hits and a walk in the game for the Mets.
Rochester (69-68) struck first in the bottom of the first inning. With runners at first and third base and no outs, Ramón Flores grounded into a double play, but Drew Maggi scored from third on the play for a 1-0 Rochester lead.
The Red Wings added a run in the second. With two outs, Zander Wiel lifted a ball over the right-field wall for an opposite-field homer to give Rochester a 2-0 advantage.
Syracuse (73-64) got on the board in the top of the sixth. Sam Haggerty led off with a triple. Two batters later, Dilson Herrera singled into right field, scoring Haggerty to cut the deficit to one, 2-1.
Rochester responded in the bottom of the sixth. With two outs and runners at first and third, Brandon Barnes blooped a ball into right field that scored two runs on the play, the second run because of an error, as Rochester took a 4-1 edge.
The Red Wings put the exclamation point on their night in the eighth. Former Syracuse Chief Alejandro De Aza picked up a two-out RBI double, and Barnes had an RBI single to give Rochester a 6-1 lead.
The Mets and Red Wings continue their four-game series with the second game on Saturday night. First pitch is set for 6:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 30, 2019
- RailRiders can't hold off Bisons' rally in the middle innings in Friday night loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Craig Homers as Clippers Two-Hit Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Urena Drives in Five as Bisons Top RailRiders, 8-7 - Buffalo Bisons
- Stripers Clinch IL South Division Title Despite Loss in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs split doubleheader in Pawtucket - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Durham Bulls
- "Above Average" Wings Beat Syracuse 6-1 - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Shut out 2-0 in Norfolk - Charlotte Knights
- Shepherd Controls Knights in 2-0 Win - Norfolk Tides
- Mets Drop Series Opener to Red Wings, 6-1 - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Fall to Mud Hens on Friday Night, 2-0 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Hit Milestone 500th Sellout - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-71) vs. Columbus Clippers (77-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Indy Announces 2019 Award Winners - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Announce 2020 Schedule - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-79) at Toledo Mud Hens (65-71) - Louisville Bats
- Montgomery Joins SWB for Rehab Start Tonight - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 2020 Durham Bulls Home Schedule Announced - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Governors' Cup Playoff Preview - August 30, 2019 - IL
- Mets Win Regular Season Home Finale and Regain Share of First Place - Syracuse Mets
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Splits Twinbill at Pawtucket - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Syracuse Mets Introduce 2020 Season T-Shirt & Face Masks
- 2020 International League Championship Season Cancelled
- Mets Catcher Rene Rivera Plays for Virtual Division Title Tonight at 6:30 Live on Twitch
- Syracuse Mets Partner with Dunkin' to Bring Coffee and Donuts to Workers at COVID-19 Testing Sites in Syracuse
- Syracuse Mets Helping to Raise Money for the Food Bank of Central New York as Part of Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign