Two Homers Not Enough in LumberKings Loss
CLINTON, IA - The Clinton LumberKings smashed two home runs off Wisconsin Timber Rattlers pitching on Tuesday afternoon at Ashford University Field but fell 9-5. In a see-saw battle, the Lumberkings (5-7) and the Timber Rattlers (6-6) traded the lead five times before late offense by Wisconsin proved too much to overcome.
The LumberKings jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning on a rally for free. Rayder Ascanio drew a one-out walk and moved to third and two wild pitches. Shortly after, Ascanio came home for the first run of the game on a balk charged to Wisconsin starter Victor Diaz.
In the top of the second inning, the Timber Rattlers took their first lead of the game. A Ronnie Gideon single, Jose Cuas RBI double and fielding error by Gareth Morgan in left led to a two-run Timber Rattlers rally.
Trailing 2-1, the LumberKings registered their first hit of the game in the second inning. Dimas Ojeda and Morgan worked walks before Anthony Jimenez slugged his first home run of the season, a three-run shot to left that put Clinton on top 4-2.
Again, the lead did not last long for Clinton. In the top of the third inning, Demi Orimoloye and Tucker Neuhaus smashed solo homers to tie the game at four.
Conner Hale put the LumberKings back on top in the fourth inning. He led-off with a solo homer down the line in left to put Clinton up 5-4. It was Hale's first home run of the year, the second in the game for the LumberKings, and the fourth in the game for both teams.
Ronald Dominguez entered the game in relief for Clinton after starter Danny Garcia was pulled following the fourth inning. Dominguez (0-1) worked a perfect first inning in the fifth but ran into trouble in his finale 1 and 1/3 innings. In the sixth, the Timber Rattlers tied the game through a combination of a single, LumberKings fielding error, balk, and fielder's choice.
Wisconsin retook the lead for good in the top of the seventh. Dominguez hit the lead-off man of the inning and was pulled following a Mario Feliciano single that put runners at second and third with only one out. Matt Clancy entered and after retiring the first man for the second out of the inning allowed both runners to score on a Monte Harrison two-RBI double to left center.
The Timber Rattlers added two more runs in the top of the eighth, more than enough offense for Nattino Diplan who shutout the LumberKings in his three innings of relief work, walking one, and striking out four. Diplan (1-1) earned the win, his first of the year, eating up innings after Timber Rattlers' starter Diaz was pulled after only 2 and 1/3 innings.
The LumberKings will play the third and final game of the three-game series and home stand with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Wednesday. RHP Brandon Miller (1-1, 2.45) will get the start for Clinton and face Wisconsin's RHP Trey Supak (0-0, 0.00). First pitch is slated for 12:00 PM with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI beginning at 12:45 PM, Erik Oas will be on the call. Wednesday will be Wing Wednesday day at Ashford University Field with 50 cent wings all game long.
Images from this story
Conner Hale and Anthony Jimenez go deep in loss
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 18, 2017
- Kernels Win 5-0 Combined Shutout in Peoria - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Romp Past Lugs, 11-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees Drop Second Straight, 12-2 - Burlington Bees
- Five Homers Power Bandits Past Bees - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall 5-0 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Collect 15 Hits, Beat Lugnuts 11-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Offense Shutout for Second Straight Game - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Two Homers Not Enough in LumberKings Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Rattlers Rock Clinton for 9-5 Win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Near Comeback Falls Short as Snappers Even Series - Kane County Cougars
- Beloit Walks Tightrope on Tuesday in Narrow Win - Beloit Snappers
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes (April 18 at LC) - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kroger Baseball Buddies Program Returns to Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: April 20-26 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Whitecaps Edge TinCaps in Marathon - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Brito Goes Deep in LumberKings Win Over Matt Garza - Clinton LumberKings
- Jones's Twin Blasts Rally Lugnuts, 13-9 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Lose Big Lead, Fall to Lansing 13-9 - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Bit by Bandits, 15-1 - Burlington Bees
- Ice Lifts Captains to Third Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- De Goti's Career Day Leads Bandits over Bees Monday - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whitefield Homers Twice in 8-2 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- First Walk-Off in 2017 Leads Cougars to Victory - Kane County Cougars
- Big Fourth Inning Triggers Comeback - Great Lakes Loons
- Pitching Staff Impressive Again as Snappers Fall in Extras - Beloit Snappers
- LumberKings Hold Off Late Wisconsin Rally - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- LumberKings to Host Blood Drive at NelsonCorp Field
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th