'Tugas Tiptoe by Stone Crabs, 2-1
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - After receiving just one win through his first 23 starts of the year, RHP Jared Solomon dominated the hottest team in Minor League Baseball, twirling six shutout innings, as the Daytona Tortugas snapped the Charlotte Stone Crabs' eight-game winning streak with a 2-1 triumph in front of 754 fans at Jackie Robinson Ballpark on Wednesday night.
Scoreless through four-and-a-half, Daytona (23-32, 58-62) finally dented the scoreboard in the bottom of the fifth. After C Mark Kolozsvary (0-2) was plunked to lead off the frame, LF Drew Mount (0-3, R) grounded into a fielder's choice. However, a throwing error enabled the 23-year-old to advance to second. 2B Alejo López (3-4, 3B, RBI) followed with an RBI single to center, putting the Tortugas ahead, 1-0.
An inning later, the 'Tugas were at it again. SS José García (2-4, 2B) doubled to begin the frame, but a failed bunt attempt ended with him being tagged out at third. After a ground out advanced the runner to second, 1B Bruce Yari (1-3, 2B, RBI, SO) lofted a drive down the line in left. The Waterloo, Ont. native's shot bounced in for a double - driving in a tally - to put Daytona up by a pair, 2-0.
Charlotte (39-16, 74-47) was able to chip away in the bottom of the seventh. With nobody on and two out, LF Garrett Whitley (1-3, R, HR, RBI) clobbered an offering over the fence in right-center for a solo home run. The former first-round pick's ninth homer of the season pulled the Stone Crabs within one, 2-1.
That was close as the visitors would get. RHP Dauri Moreta (2.0 IP, 2 H, R, ER, 2 SO) tossed a scoreless eighth before handing the ball to RHP Michael Byrne (1.0 IP, SO) in the final stanza. The former Florida Gator drilled the first batter but retired the next three in order to garner his first professional save.
Solomon (6.0 IP, 5 H, 4 SO) was the star of the show on Wednesday. The 22-year-old baffled the Florida State League's top hitting team with six innings of spotless baseball. The right-hander did not walk a hitter and struck out four en route to his first FSL victory.
RHP Stephen Woods Jr. (5.0 IP, 6 H, R, BB, 3 SO) pitched admirably, as well. The former SUNY Albany Great Dane issued just one unearned run over five innings, yet suffered his third loss of the campaign.
The series wraps up with a Thirsty Thursday presented by Bud Light. Fans are encouraged to come out and be a part of the biggest party in Central Florida, as draft beers and fountain sodas can be purchased for just $1 all evening long.
Daytona is scheduled to hand the ball to RHP Ryan Lillie (2-7, 3.36 ERA) in the series finale. Tampa Bay's No. 28 prospect per Baseball America - RHP Drew Strotman (0-0, 2.70 ERA) - is expected to toe the slab for Charlotte.
The Tortugas Pre-Game Show will kick off the broadcast at 6:50 p.m. ET, leading up to the 7:05 p.m. ET start at Jackie Robinson Ballpark. Thursday evening's contest can be heard on www.daytonatortugas.com or via the TuneIn Radio and MiLB First Pitch apps.
Multi-game plans and single-game tickets are still currently available and can be purchased online at www.daytonatortugas.com, or by calling the Tortugas' Ticket Office at (386) 257-3172.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Lillie Leads Daytona to Four-Hit Shutout of Charlotte - Daytona Tortugas
- Miller Time in Clearwater - Clearwater Threshers
- Daytona Drops Stone Crabs 5-0 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Marauders Wallop Fire Frogs 14-4 - Bradenton Marauders
- Miracle and St. Lucie Cancelled - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Finale Between Mets, Miracle Cancelled - St. Lucie Mets
- Tarpons Cancel Tonight's Game vs. Cardinals - Tampa Tarpons
- August 15th Game vs. Lakeland Rained Out - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Bradenton Blasts Florida, 14-4 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Weekend Home Series against Tampa Tarpons Moved to Steinbrenner Field - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Thu, Aug 15 at Daytona - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Beer Fest, Bob Ross Weekend Highlight Stellar Weekend at the Jack - Daytona Tortugas
- 'Tugas Tiptoe by Stone Crabs, 2-1 - Daytona Tortugas
- Dunedin Takes the Series in Clearwater - Dunedin Blue Jays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Daytona Tortugas Stories
- Tortugas' Allan Cerda Named Low-A Southeast Postseason All-Star
- José Torres Collects Low-A Southeast Player of the Month Honors
- Daytona Tortugas Release 2022 Schedule
- Full-Season Tickets for Tortugas' 2022 Campaign on Sale Today
- Tortugas' José Torres Named Low-A Southeast Player of the Week