Tomas Sholl Named 2018-19 All-ECHL Second Team Honors
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl has been named 2018-19 All-ECHL Second Team honors, the league announced on Thursday.
Sholl, 24, was named to the All-ECHL Rookie Team on Wednesday afternoon, becoming the first Steelheads player to earn rookie honors since goaltender Landon Bow in 2016-17 and the first to earn All-ECHL honors since forward Wade MacLeod was named All-ECHL First Team honors in 2014-15. The pair of honors is also the first time Steelheads players were named to both sets of honors since 2010-11 but the first time a single player earned rookie and league honors since goaltender Richard Bachman in 2009-10, who also earned All-Rookie Team and All-ECHL Second Team honors.
Sholl finishes out his first full season with a strong campaign and multiple recognitions. In addition to yearly honors, the Hermosa Beach, Calif. native was also named to the 2018-19 ECHL All-Star Classic as the lone goaltending representative of the Western Conference and one of just two ECHL goaltenders voted to the event weekend. He was also named ECHL Goaltender of the Week on March 26, his third-career weekly honor.
In 37 games this season, the 6-foot, 180-pound goaltender posted a 25-12-0 record with a 2.26 goals-against average and a .928 save percentage with three shutouts. Sholl leads all ECHL rookie goaltenders in goals-against average while sitting second among rookies in wins. He also leads all ECHL goaltenders in save percentage while sitting third overall in goals-against average and fourth overall in wins.
After beginning his career with the Steelheads via trade from the Adirondack Thunder on Feb. 28, 2018, Sholl has been a defensive catalyst and reliable option in net down the stretch. After going 9-0-2 in his first 11 games in Idaho last season, he's continued that success into this season, earning a career 34-12-2 record with a 2.02 goals-against average and a .933 save percentage through 48 Steelheads games, ranking second in Steelheads ECHL history for career goals-against average and career save percentage, only trailing NHL goaltender and alum Jack Campbell (1.70 GAA, .944 SV%). Sholl also sits fifth in all-time wins.
The 2018-19 All-ECHL First and Second Team selections are determined in a vote of ECHL coaches, broadcasters, media relations directors and media, who were asked to select a goaltender, two defensemen and three forwards for each category.
2018-19 All-ECHL First Team
G - Michael Houser, Cincinnati Cyclones (40 gp, 28-7-5, 2.16 GAA, .921 save pct.)
D - Eric Knodel, Cincinnati Cyclones (68 gp, 17g, 34a, 51 pts.)
D - Matt Petgrave, Brampton Beast (50 gp, 8g, 32a, 40 pts.)
F - Caleb Herbert, Utah Grizzlies (51 gp, 31g, 37a, 68 pts.)
F - Adam Pleskach, Tulsa Oilers (69 gp, 37g, 34a, 71 pts.)
F - Jesse Schultz, Cincinnati Cyclones (70 gp, 22g, 58a, 80 pts.)
2018-19 All-ECHL Second Team
G - Tomas Sholl, Idaho Steelheads (37 gp, 25-12-0, 2.26 GAA, .928 save pct.)
D - Matt Register, Toledo Walleye (62 gp, 12g, 34a, 46 pts.)
D - Derek Sheppard, Florida Everblades (57 gp, 14g, 26a, 40 pts.)
F - Joe Cox, Florida Everblades (55 gp, 27g, 34a, 61 pts.)
F - Chris McCarthy, Reading Royals (70 gp, 19g, 53a, 72 pts.)
F - Zach O'Brien, Newfoundland Growlers (50 gp, 27g, 36a, 63 pts.)
The ECHL will announce the Community Service Award and Sportsmanship Award winners on Friday.
The Steelheads close the home schedule of the 2018-19 regular season on Friday, Apr. 5 at 7:10 p.m. at CenturyLink Arena to open a three-game weekend against the Utah Grizzlies. Tickets for the 2019 U.S. Bank Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by SmileDirectClub, are on sale now! The Mountain Division Semifinals begin Friday, Apr. 12, so act now by contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 4, 2019
- McAuley Delivers in Overtime as Solar Bears Take Down Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Alex Leclerc Added to Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Bonar Steals Crucial Point for Atlanta with Miraculous Performance in Net - Atlanta Gladiators
- Kale Kessy Returns to Steelheads on Assignment from AHL Colorado - Idaho Steelheads
- Ice Painting Party this Saturday - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - April 4 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Ronning, Wallin Join Mariners from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Matt Petgrave Selected to 2018-19 All-ECHL First Team - Brampton Beast
- Cox, Sheppard Named to All-ECHL Second Team - Florida Everblades
- Chris McCarthy Named to All-ECHL 2nd Team - Reading Royals
- Walleye Register Named ECHL All-Star - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Trio Named First Team All-ECHL - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Tomas Sholl Named 2018-19 All-ECHL Second Team Honors - Idaho Steelheads
- Caleb Herbert Named First Team All ECHL - Utah Grizzlies
- All-ECHL First and Second Teams Unveiled - ECHL
- Adam Pleskach Selected to 2018-19 All-ECHL First Team - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Sign Cornell Defenseman Matt Nuttle - South Carolina Stingrays
- Playoff Schedule Released, Tickets on Sale Tomorrow - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kelly Summers Earns Crack at American League - Adirondack Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Forward Will Merchant Agrees to Return for 2019-20 Season
- Steelheads Name Everett Sheen as Franchise's Eighth Head Coach
- Defenseman Keegan Kanzig Returns to Steelheads for 2019-20 Season
- Head Coach Neil Graham Appointed as Texas Stars Assistant Coach
- Defenseman Eric Sweetman Agrees to Return to Steelheads for 2019-20 Season