TinCaps Split Doubleheader in Bowling Green (June 13)
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. - The TinCaps split a doubleheader against the Bowling Green Hot Rods (Tampa Bay Rays) at Bowling Green Ballpark on Wednesday night. Fort Wayne came from behind to win the opening game, 4-3, only to see Bowling Green return the favor in the nightcap by the same score.
Game 1 was a continuation of a contest at Parkview Field in Fort Wayne on May 31 that was suspended due to rain after three innings with the score tied, 1-1. That game was already scheduled to go only seven innings, as it was part of a doubleheader because of a rainout on May 30.
The Hot Rods (43-22) broke that tie with a run in the fifth and another in the sixth to go up, 3-1. But the TinCaps (29-36) responded in the home sixth. Yes, they were still technically the home team for this one even though they were playing in a road ballpark.
Right fielder Tirso Ornelas , third baseman Luis Almanzar , and DH Justin Lopez -- all of whom are 18 years old -- strung together three straight singles to load the bases. Two batters later, catcher Juan Fernandez and first baseman Jalen Washington put together back-to-back RBI singles to tie the game, 3-3. Then left fielder Robbie Podorsky chopped a grounder to third base that was misplayed, allowing Lopez to score the go-ahead run.
Left-hander Travis Radke came on for the seventh to close out his ninth save of the season.
In Game 2, Bowling Green hit back-to-back solo home runs off Tom Cosgrove in the bottom of the first inning. The lefty settled in after that, though, and turned in a quality start. Cosgrove went six innings and matched his season high for strikeouts with eight.
Meanwhile, Podorsky provided a two-out RBI single in the top of the second to get the 'Caps on the board. Shortstop Gabriel Arias led off the fourth with a solo blast to left-center field that cleared the wall as it traveled 438 feet and tied the game, 2-2. It was the 18-year-old's first home run in Minor League Baseball.
Center fielder Jeisson Rosario led off the fifth with a single and moved to second on a wild pitch. He scored when second baseman Esteury Ruiz dropped down a bunt single that Hot Rods starter Alex Valverde threw errantly to first base.
Fort Wayne's 3-2 lead lasted until the bottom of the sixth. Carl Chester tied the game with a two-out hit. Then in the seventh -- the final scheduled inning for a doubleheader game -- with two outs, Taylor Walls lined an opposite-field single to left to bring home Jim Haley, who led the inning off with an infield single and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt.
Thursday, June 14 @ Bowling Green (7:35 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Osvaldo Hernandez
- Hot Rods Probable Starter: RHP Riley O'Brien
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Captains' Eighth Walk-Off Clinches Sweep - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Fall in 3-2 Heartbreaker - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Walk off Beloit 3-2 in 11 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Kirilloff Hits 12th, 13th Home Runs in 10-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rally 'Caps Shock Loons for 9-6 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Road-Weary Lugs Finish with Walkoff Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Set Attendance Record, Fall to Whitecaps - Great Lakes Loons
- River Bandits Sweep LumberKings with 5-2 Victory, Move into First Place Tie - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton swept, drops into first place tie - Clinton LumberKings
- Merry Clinchmas: Hot Rods Claim Eastern Division with 7-2 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Eliminated in First Half - Kane County Cougars
- Feight Homers, But TinCaps Drop Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cubs Take Series Finale against Dayton 2-0 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Fall at South Bend 2-0, Miss Chance for Sweep - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 at Bowling Green (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Wrap up 13-Game, 14-Day Road Trip Tonight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Series Finale at Burlington Rained Out - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 15-17 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Offensive Struggles by Wisconsin Leads to Bees Victory - Burlington Bees
- OF Chandler Taylor transferred to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Partner with the Winery at Versailles for Annual Yoga in the Outfield Event - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Split Doubleheader in Bowling Green (June 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps Earn Ballpark Digest's "Continued Excellence Award"
- Season Ends in 10-Inning Loss
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 3 at West Michigan (Game 138/138)
- TinCaps Fall, Winner-Take-All Game Set for Monday
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 2 at West Michigan (September 2)