TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 at Bowling Green (Game 66)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (29-36, 6th MWL East) @ Bowling Green Hot Rods (43-22, 1st)
LHP Osvaldo Hernandez vs. RHP Riley O'Brien
Thursday, June 14 - Bowling Green Ballpark (Bowling Green, KY) - First Pitch 7:35 p.m. (Games 66)
LISTEN: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM / TuneIn / TinCapsRadio.com
WEDNESDAY: The TinCaps split a doubleheader against Bowling Green. Fort Wayne came from behind to win, 4-3, in Game 1, which was a continuation of a contest at Parkview Field in Fort Wayne on May 31 that was suspended due to rain after three innings. Bowling Green returned the favor in Game 2 to win by the same score, 4-3.
OSVALDOOO: In Osvaldo Hernandez's first 2 starts, he allowed 6 ER in 8.1 IP for a 6.48 ERA. In his last 8 starts (Since April 21), he has only allowed 7 ER in 42.2 IP, good for a 1.48 ERA. In that span, Osvaldo has posted 4 quality starts. Also in that time, he has struck out 42 compared to 11 walks. A reason for Osvaldo's success is that he has only allowed 1 home run in 51 innings this season, and that 1 home run against came in his first start of the year.
PACE OF PLAY: According to team records, Tuesday's 1 hour, 56 minute- game was the quickest 9-inning game for the TinCaps since May 5, 2013, when Fort Wayne played a game at Peoria that went 1 hour, 47 minutes. (The TinCaps lost that game to the Chiefs, 1-0.)
SLUGGER: On their way down to Kentucky on Tuesday, the TinCaps made a pit stop to visit the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory. The team toured the facility and some players even purchased bats. Louisville Slugger started making bats in 1884. Honus Wager was the first player to sign a contract with them in 1905, when they were known as the Hillerich & Bradsby Company. More than 8,000 players have signed with Louisville Slugger in the decades since, including the likes of Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente, and Tony Gwynn.
NO PLACE LIKE HOME: The TinCaps are 11-22 away from home this season slashing .219/.302/.320 compared to 18-14 at home while slashing .259/.347/.363.
CLUTCH HITTING: With runners on base, Tirso Ornelas is slashing
.307/.418/.485 with 4 doubles, 1 triple and 4 home runs. Ornelas is 2nd on the team with 26 RBIs this season. Ornelas, a left-handed batter, is hitting .297 against lefties this season, while batting .257 against righties. Of his 6 homers this season, 3 have come against lefties. (Ornelas has 37 ABs against lefties compared to 175 ABs against right-handers.)
BURGEONING BULLPEN: TinCaps relievers have posted an ERA of close to 3.37 their last 46 games. In this time, the 'pen has been led by Travis Radke, Caleb Boushley, Evan Miller, and Ben Sheckler. Through the first 19 games of the year, the bullpen had a 7.47 ERA.
LEAGUE LEADERS: Jeisson Rosario is 8th in OBP (.391), tied for 7th in walks (37), 5th in runs (42)... Esteury Ruiz 3rd in SB (20).
ADVANCED STATS LEAGUE LEADERS: Jeisson Rosario is 7th in Line Drive % (25%) and 10th in BB% (15%)... Tirso Ornelas is tied for 6th lowest Swing and Miss% (7%).
ALL-STARS: 4 TinCaps are Midwest League All-Stars (C Luis Campusano, LHP Aaron Leasher, LHP Nick Margevicius, and LHP Travis Radke).
HEATING UP: Justin Lopez slashed .267/.315/.465 in the month of May after slashing .197/.265/.246 in April. Lopez had 4 doubles, 2 triples, and all 3 of his home runs in the month along with 9 RBIs. Luis Campusano slashed .304/.380/.377 in the month of May after batting .267/.313/.350 in April.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Captains' Eighth Walk-Off Clinches Sweep - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Fall in 3-2 Heartbreaker - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Walk off Beloit 3-2 in 11 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Kirilloff Hits 12th, 13th Home Runs in 10-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rally 'Caps Shock Loons for 9-6 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Road-Weary Lugs Finish with Walkoff Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Set Attendance Record, Fall to Whitecaps - Great Lakes Loons
- River Bandits Sweep LumberKings with 5-2 Victory, Move into First Place Tie - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton swept, drops into first place tie - Clinton LumberKings
- Merry Clinchmas: Hot Rods Claim Eastern Division with 7-2 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Eliminated in First Half - Kane County Cougars
- Feight Homers, But TinCaps Drop Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cubs Take Series Finale against Dayton 2-0 - South Bend Cubs
- Dragons Fall at South Bend 2-0, Miss Chance for Sweep - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 14 at Bowling Green (Game 66) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Wrap up 13-Game, 14-Day Road Trip Tonight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Series Finale at Burlington Rained Out - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 15-17 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Offensive Struggles by Wisconsin Leads to Bees Victory - Burlington Bees
- OF Chandler Taylor transferred to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Partner with the Winery at Versailles for Annual Yoga in the Outfield Event - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Split Doubleheader in Bowling Green (June 13) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.