TinCaps Rally for Win for Second Straight Day
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The TinCaps stayed hot at home, riding a late rally to beat the Bowling Green Hot Rods (Tampa Bay Rays affiliate), 4-2, on a sunny Sunday at Parkview Field. The 'Caps have now won 10 of their last 12 home games.
The game went back-and-forth through the first five innings, as Fort Wayne (24-31, 57-66) took 1-0 and 2-1 leads in the second and fourth innings respectively, while Bowling Green (32-23, 71-54) promptly tied the game in the following third and fifth innings. Two Justin Lopez doubles and an Ethan Skender RBI single highlighted the TinCaps' early offensive output.
Ryan Weathers went 4 1/3 innings in his start with six strikeouts, allowing two runs on six hits. The former first round pick's start was highlighted by his ability to work out of potential trouble. Weathers stranded a combined seven runners on base in his first three innings of work, helped out by five strikeouts. The native of Loretto, Tenn., threw 85 pitches, his longest start in terms of pitches thrown this season.
The game remained tied until the eighth, when the TinCaps utilized some two-out magic to take the lead for good. First, Michael Curry and Lopez reached via a single and walk, respectively. Then, both came home to score on consecutive RBI singles by Agustin Ruiz and Skender.
All four men involved in the eighth-inning scoring fun have been pivotal factors at the plate as of late for the TinCaps. Curry is now on a six-game hitting streak, batting .429 during that time. Since July 21 (24 games), Lopez is batting .312 with seven doubles, three home runs, and 14 RBIs. Ruiz now has 55 RBIs on the season, placing him in the top 10 in the Midwest League. Since joining the TinCaps on July 14, Skender is batting .330 in 28 games with 21 RBIs (a team-high during that time).
The 'Caps bullpen held the Hot Rods off the scoreboard in the game's final 4 2/3 innings, as Jose Quezada (1 2/3 IP), Austin Smith (2 IP), and Henry Henry (1 IP) allowed just three hits down the stretch. Fort Wayne's bullpen has hurled 9 2/3 scoreless innings to begin the series with 15 total strikeouts.
Monday, August 19 vs. Bowling Green (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Edwuin Bencomo
- Hot Rods Probable Starter: RHP Zack Trageton
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 18, 2019
- River Bandits Hold off Kernels Late Charge in 5-4 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Comeback Comes up Short for Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Win 7-3 over Chiefs - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Soto Homers as Chiefs Fall Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Wilkel Quells Captains in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short as Beloit loses to Burlington - Beloit Snappers
- Cubs Blast Three Home Runs and Topple Loons 9-5 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps Rally for Win for Second Straight Day - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- You Get a Home Run... You Get a Home Run - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains' Bats Silenced by Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Cardenas Has Three Hits in 4-2 Loss on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- In Final Copa De La Diversion Game, Locos Surprise Dragons, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings Hold on for 9-7 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Slug Late, Drop Date with LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Lansing Scores 6 in 7th to Come from Behind, Defeat Dragons, 9-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 21-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Erik Cha placed on 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 18 vs. Bowling Green (Game 123) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 18 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.