Captains' Bats Silenced by Whitecaps
(Comstock Park, MI) - The Lake County Captains (28-27, 68-56) were held to three hits on Sunday afternoon in a 4-2 loss to the West Michigan Whitecaps (20-35, 41-83). West Michigan took game two of the four-game series at Fifth Third Ballpark, 4-2.
West Michigan starter Wilkel Hernandez tossed six innings and allowed just two unearned runs on two hits, en route to the win. Hernandez (8-7) struck out seven and walked two, bouncing back from his start on Monday, in which the Captains tagged the right-hander for six runs in 1/3 of an inning.
The Whitecaps took a 1-0 lead in the second inning against Captains starter Matt Turner. Parker Meadows legged out a hustle double on a grounder into right-center and Turner walked Bryant Packard. Daniel Schneemann then made a diving stop at third on a grounder by Andre Lipcius and forced out Meadows at third for the first out. Danny Reyes came up next and dribbled a grounder into the grass toward first for an infield single that loaded the bases and Turner walked Cooper Johnson with the bases loaded, forcing home Packard with the game's first run.
West Michigan extended its lead to 2-0 in the third. After a leadoff single by Corey Joyce, Turner struck out Riley Greene and Meadows, but walked Packard. Lipcius then singled in Joyce to plate the insurance run.
The Captains did not register a hit against Hernandez until the fourth, when a walk and an error preceded the first Lake County hit and led to a tie game. Bo Naylor worked a leadoff walk, but was forced out at second when Jose Fermin bounced a ball to third and Lipcius threw to Joyce at second for the putout. Two batters later, Raynel Delgado chopped a grounder to first that ate up Zach Malis and bounded down the right field line. The error put men on second and third with two outs. Schneemann then came through with a single to center that scored both Fermin and Delgado to knot the score at 2-2.
The Whitecaps regained the lead in the fifth. Kyle Marman came in to relieve Turner and Greene greeted him with a leadoff single. A wild pitch then bounced off of catcher Eric Rodriguez and caromed far enough for Greene do advance all the way to third. Marman struck out Meadows for the first out and the Captains had the infield in when Packard hit a sharp grounder up the middle. Delgado, playing second, sprawled to his right and made the backhand stop. He looked Greene back at third and threw to first, but Greene bolted home and scored the go-ahead run. Lipcius then doubled and scored on a single by Reyes to push the Whitecaps' lead to 4-2.
Zack Hess notched the save for West Michigan. He relieved right-hander Zac Shepherd, who threw 1.2 scoreless frames. Hess nailed down the final four outs, striking out Rodriguez to end the game and clinch his fourth save.
Marman (4-4) took the loss for Lake County. The right-hander worked two innings and allowed two runs on three hits. He struck out three and walked two.
The Captains and Whitecaps have split the first two games of their four-game series and meet again on Monday night. First pitch at Fifth Third Ballpark is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Individual game tickets for all Captains games are on sale at the Classic Park box office, online at captainsbaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Mini ticket plans for the 2019 season are still available for great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 18, 2019
- River Bandits Hold off Kernels Late Charge in 5-4 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Comeback Comes up Short for Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Win 7-3 over Chiefs - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Soto Homers as Chiefs Fall Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Wilkel Quells Captains in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short as Beloit loses to Burlington - Beloit Snappers
- Cubs Blast Three Home Runs and Topple Loons 9-5 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps Rally for Win for Second Straight Day - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- You Get a Home Run... You Get a Home Run - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains' Bats Silenced by Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Cardenas Has Three Hits in 4-2 Loss on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- In Final Copa De La Diversion Game, Locos Surprise Dragons, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings Hold on for 9-7 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Slug Late, Drop Date with LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Lansing Scores 6 in 7th to Come from Behind, Defeat Dragons, 9-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 21-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Erik Cha placed on 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 18 vs. Bowling Green (Game 123) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 18 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake County Captains Stories
- Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC Will Begin August 22
- Captains Postpone Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC
- Captains, City of Eastlake Cancel July 22 Concert
- Captains to Host Five Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC
- Captains, City of Eastlake Announce July 22 Concert at Captains Ballpark