Cardenas Has Three Hits in 4-2 Loss on Sunday
Fort Wayne, IN - Ruben Cardenas had three hits in the Bowling Green Hot Rods 4-2 loss to the Fort Wayne TinCaps on Sunday afternoon at Parkview Field. The Hot Rods are 71-53 overall and 32-23 in the second half and will continue a four-game set with the TinCaps on Monday with a 6:05 PM CDT first pitch.
After a scoreless first, the TinCaps took a one-run lead in the second against Bowling Green starter Caleb Sampen. Michael Curry singled to left and went to third when Justin Lopez doubled to right. Agustin Ruiz hit a fly ball to center, serving as a sacrifice fly to plate Curry and give Fort Wayne a 1-0 advantage.
Bowling Green finally broke through against TinCaps starter Ryan Weathers to tie the game in the third. Jonathan Aranda singled to left and with two outs Nick Schnell was hit by a pitch. Grant Witherspoon singled to left and Aranda just beat the throw to the plate to tie the game, 1-1.
The TinCaps scored with two outs in the fourth to take another one-run lead, but the Hot Rods tied the game again in the fifth. Ruben Cardenas doubled to left with one out, chasing Weathers from the game. Jose Quezada entered from the bullpen and walked Chris Betts, but Schnell bunted to the right side of the infield causing an errant throw, scoring Cardenas to make it a 2-2 game.
The TinCaps plated a pair of runs in the eighth off Bowling Green reliever Nathan Witt to take the lead. With two outs Curry singled to right and went to second on a walk to Lopez. Ruiz singled to right, scoring Curry to give the TinCaps a 3-2 lead and Skender followed with a single of this own to drive home Lopez and exit the inning with Fort Wayne ahead, 4-2. The Hot Rods put the tying run on base with one out in the ninth, but Henry Henry recorded the final two outs of the game to deal Bowling Green their second-straight loss.
Sampen ended up with a no-decision after allowing two runs on four hits with a walk and a strikeout over four innings of work. Hector Figueroa hurled a scoreless three innings, allowing a hit with a walk and two strikeouts. Witt (1-5) took the loss after allowing two runs on four hits with a walk in the loss.
Notes: Aranda has a 10-game hit streak... Witherspoon had his 28th multi-hit game of the season... Cardenas extended his hit streak to five games... He also had his 25th multi-hit game of the year... Eight of those games are three-hit efforts... Sampen hurled less than five innings for the first time since June 16 in Lansing... Schnell has a hit in each of his first two games as a Hot Rod... ---BG is 22-9 in day games... They're 30-32 on the road... They have a 9-8 record in August... Sunday was their 10th loss of the season in a two-run game... The team is 16-17 in games started by an opposing southpaw... The bullpen is 26-27 in games of record... They're also 21-32 when the opposition scores first... BG is 10-6 with an even hit total... The Hot Rods and TinCaps continue their four-game series on Monday with a 6:05 PM CDT first pitch at Parkview Field... Bowling Green will send RH Zack Trageton (3-0, 2.08) against TinCaps RH Edwuin Bencomo (1-0, 3.04)... Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM and the Hot Rods Radio Network on the TuneIn Radio and MiLB First Pitch apps, available for smartphones.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 18, 2019
- River Bandits Hold off Kernels Late Charge in 5-4 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Comeback Comes up Short for Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Win 7-3 over Chiefs - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Soto Homers as Chiefs Fall Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Wilkel Quells Captains in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short as Beloit loses to Burlington - Beloit Snappers
- Cubs Blast Three Home Runs and Topple Loons 9-5 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps Rally for Win for Second Straight Day - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- You Get a Home Run... You Get a Home Run - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains' Bats Silenced by Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Cardenas Has Three Hits in 4-2 Loss on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- In Final Copa De La Diversion Game, Locos Surprise Dragons, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings Hold on for 9-7 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Slug Late, Drop Date with LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Lansing Scores 6 in 7th to Come from Behind, Defeat Dragons, 9-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 21-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Erik Cha placed on 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 18 vs. Bowling Green (Game 123) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 18 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.