Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short as Beloit loses to Burlington
BELOIT, WI - It was a high scoring affair in Beloit today as the Snappers fell to the Bees by a final score of 10-7. The Snappers had a late-inning comeback attempt, but it fell just short after 2 runs in the ninth to fall by 3 this afternoon.
The game would begin with Beloit jumping out to the early lead with a run in the first to open up the Snappers hitting. In the inning, Beloit would get 3 straight walks and pick up their first run of the game after Nick Ward was hit by a pitch to give the Snappers the 1-0 lead.
After a quick answer from Burlington with a run in the second, Beloit would get one more back in the second to retake the lead. After a John Jones walk and a single from Michael Woodworth, Max Schuemann would ground into a fielder's choice to plate Jones and give them the 2-1 lead.
The high scoring boxing match would continue with 2 more runs for Burlington in the fourth, but Beloit would not give up their lead for long landing a 3-spot in the fourth.
After two straight singles with one out in the fourth, Joseph Pena would rip a ball fair down the third base line for an RBI double to even the score at 3. Moments later, Devin Foyle would double to right field to score Woodworth and Pena giving the Snappers the 5-3 advantage.
Unfortunately for Beloit though, the lead would not last, as Burlington would rattle off 7 unanswered runs to take the 10-5 lead heading into the ninth inning. However, Beloit would not go down quietly plating 2 runs in the bottom half in their comeback attempt.
For Beloit, the inning would start with a leadoff single for Nick Osborne and be followed later with a 2-out double from Lester Madden to put runners on second and third. Jones would then continue his strong day hitting a single to plate both runs and draw the Snappers closer.
However, that would be the end of the line for Beloit offensively eventually falling to Burlington tonight by a final score of 10-7.
Beloit will be back in action tomorrow looking to get back on the right track taking on Burlington in the third game of the series. Tomorrow's game is scheduled for 6:30 and will be the final Bark in the Park night where pups and people will be admitted to Pohlman Field.
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362- 2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 18, 2019
- River Bandits Hold off Kernels Late Charge in 5-4 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Comeback Comes up Short for Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Win 7-3 over Chiefs - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Soto Homers as Chiefs Fall Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Wilkel Quells Captains in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short as Beloit loses to Burlington - Beloit Snappers
- Cubs Blast Three Home Runs and Topple Loons 9-5 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps Rally for Win for Second Straight Day - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- You Get a Home Run... You Get a Home Run - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains' Bats Silenced by Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Cardenas Has Three Hits in 4-2 Loss on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- In Final Copa De La Diversion Game, Locos Surprise Dragons, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings Hold on for 9-7 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Slug Late, Drop Date with LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Lansing Scores 6 in 7th to Come from Behind, Defeat Dragons, 9-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 21-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Erik Cha placed on 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 18 vs. Bowling Green (Game 123) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 18 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.