Cougars Slug Late, Drop Date with LumberKings
Geneva, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (70-54, 35-20) late offensive surge came up one hit short in a 9-7 loss to the Clinton LumberKings (66-58, 33-22) on Sunday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field. The Cougars lead in the division is down to two games over Clinton.
In the second inning, Evan Edwards pushed Clinton in front with a two-run double. The Cougars responded with an RBI single from Keshawn Lynch. Marcos Rivera provided some separation with a three-run homer in the fifth to make it 5-1 LumberKings. Kameron Mizner gave Clinton their biggest advantage of the day with a two-run single in the seventh.
In the bottom of the seventh, the Cougars began their climb. A bases-loaded two-run double by Dominic Fletcher cut the deficit to 7-3. Buddy Kennedy and Blaze Alexander each collected RBIs in the inning to bring the Cougars within two. In the eighth, the LumberKings scored twice with two infield errors mixed in for the Cougars.
In the ninth, a hit batter and a Zac Almond single setup Keshawn Lynch for an RBI double to make it a 9-7 game. With runners at second and third and two outs the Cougars used a pinch hitter, Zack Shannon, who flied out to center to end the game.
Alberto Guerrero (7-6) earned the win with six innings of one-run ball. He struck out five and didn't walk anyone. Michel Gelabert (3-2) gave up five runs in five inning and suffered the loss. Zach Wolf (12) earned the save, despite a wobbly ninth.
The Cougars and LumberKings play game three of the four-game series on Monday night with first pitch scheduled for 6:30. For tickets call 630-282-8811 or online at kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 18, 2019
- River Bandits Hold off Kernels Late Charge in 5-4 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Comeback Comes up Short for Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Win 7-3 over Chiefs - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Soto Homers as Chiefs Fall Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Wilkel Quells Captains in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short as Beloit loses to Burlington - Beloit Snappers
- Cubs Blast Three Home Runs and Topple Loons 9-5 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps Rally for Win for Second Straight Day - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- You Get a Home Run... You Get a Home Run - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains' Bats Silenced by Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Cardenas Has Three Hits in 4-2 Loss on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- In Final Copa De La Diversion Game, Locos Surprise Dragons, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings Hold on for 9-7 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Slug Late, Drop Date with LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Lansing Scores 6 in 7th to Come from Behind, Defeat Dragons, 9-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 21-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Erik Cha placed on 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 18 vs. Bowling Green (Game 123) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 18 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season