TinCaps Game Notes: August 18 vs. Bowling Green (Game 123)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (23-31, 56-66) vs. Bowling Green Hot Rods (32-22, 71-53)
LHP Ryan Weathers vs. RHP Caleb Sampen
Sunday, Aug. 18 - Parkview Field (Fort Wayne, Ind.) - First Pitch 3:05 PM (Game 123 / 138)
WATCH: John Nolan & Brett Rump (Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV)
LISTEN: Mike Maahs & Evan Stockton (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
LAST NIGHT: The TinCaps beat the Hot Rods, 3-2.
SEASON HIGH: TinCaps pitchers struck out 15 batters, matching a season high for a 9-inning game. Starter Adrian Martinez fanned 4 in 4 innings and relievers, Dylan Coleman had a couple Ks in 2 innings, Franklin Van Gurp struck out 3 in the seventh, and Mason Fox struck out all 6 batters he faced. The last 11 outs they recorded were all Ks, with only 2 walks in between.
ADD 'EM UP: The TinCaps now have had 24 position players and 29 pitchers, for 53 total players this year. Last year's team used 55 players. The franchise record is 63 players in 2016... Relievers Henry Henry and Jose Quezada are the only pitchers on the staff who've been on the active roster all season. Catchers Blake Hunt and Juan Fernandez, along with outfielder Agustin Ruiz, are the only position players who've been active since Opening Day.
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have issued the fewest walks in the MWL this season, averaging just 2.9 per 9 innings. Fort Wayne also has the best ratio of strikeouts to walks (3.10).
MAKING HIS MARK: Infielder Tucupita Marcano has the 2nd lowest K% in the MWL at 9%. He has the 3rd lowest swinging strike% (4%). With 33 walks against only 42 strikeouts, his BB/K ratio (0.79) ranks 6th.
HUNTING HITS: Prior to having Friday off, catcher Blake Hunt tied a season-high with 3 hits on Thursday night, including his 2nd triple of the season. On Saturday he added a single and an RBI triple... In 52 games since May 26, Hunt has slashed .302/.359/.437 (.796 OPS).
HOT CURRY: In 61 games since May 26, outfielder Michael Curry ranks 3rd in the MWL in OPS (.877). He's also 3rd in average (.307) and OBP (.404). His .473 SLG ranks 4th.
JUST INFORMATION: Over his last 23 games (dating back to July 21), infielder Justin Lopez has slashed .300/.330/.456 (.786 OPS) with 5 doubles, 3 homers, and 14 RBIs... Lopez, 19, is 1 of only 3 teenagers in the MWL with 11 home runs this season. The others are Burlington infielder Kevin Maitan, the No. 24 Angels prospect, and Lansing catcher Gabriel Moreno, the No. 9 Blue Jays prospect.
RUIZ BATTED IN: Outfielder Agustin Ruiz ranks 11th in the MWL in RBIs (53).
SKY-HIGH SKENDER: Since making his TinCaps debut on July 14, third baseman Ethan Skender leads the team in RBIs (19), and also ranks tied for 8th in the MWL in that category.
WALK & RUN: Center fielder Jawuan Harris ranks 3rd in the MWL in stolen bases with 29. He's the only player in the league who's stolen more than 23 bases while be caught stealing fewer than 5 times... Harris ranks 8th in the MWL in BB% (14%).
WEATHERS REPORT: For MWL pitchers who've logged 80+ innings, Ryan Weathers ranks 3rd in BB/9 (1.63), 3rd in BB% (4%), 3rd in K/BB (5.00), 5th in xFIP (3.19), 6th in K-BB% (18%), and 9th in FIP (3.30). Since walking the leadoff batter (Ford Proctor) at Bowling Green on July 24, Weathers has gone 21 consecutive innings without issuing a walk over 4 starts.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 18, 2019
- River Bandits Hold off Kernels Late Charge in 5-4 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Comeback Comes up Short for Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Win 7-3 over Chiefs - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Soto Homers as Chiefs Fall Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Wilkel Quells Captains in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short as Beloit loses to Burlington - Beloit Snappers
- Cubs Blast Three Home Runs and Topple Loons 9-5 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps Rally for Win for Second Straight Day - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- You Get a Home Run... You Get a Home Run - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains' Bats Silenced by Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Cardenas Has Three Hits in 4-2 Loss on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- In Final Copa De La Diversion Game, Locos Surprise Dragons, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings Hold on for 9-7 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Slug Late, Drop Date with LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Lansing Scores 6 in 7th to Come from Behind, Defeat Dragons, 9-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 21-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Erik Cha placed on 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 18 vs. Bowling Green (Game 123) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 18 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.