Comeback Comes up Short for Kernels
DAVENPORT, IOWA - The Cedar Rapids Kernels tried to rally from a late 5-0 deficit Sunday at Modern Woodmen Park, but the Quad Cities River Bandits held on for a 5-4 triumph. Quad Cities improved to 31-24 in the second half and 74-47 overall. Cedar Rapids dropped to 31-24 and 70-55, respectively.
DaShawn Keirsey Jr. kicked off the comeback during the seventh inning. Gabe Snyder's one-out walk and Wander Javier's double put two runners in scoring position, and Keirsey doubled to drive in both men and trim the difference to 5-2.
Gilberto Celestino helped Cedar Rapids slice its deficit to 5-4 within the eighth. His RBI single plated Spencer Steer, and he scored a run of his own after Keirsey's bases-loaded walk. Keirsey finished with a career-high-tying three runs batted in, but he and his Kernels teammate were unable to bring in the game-tying run Sunday.
The River Bandits controlled a 5-0 lead by the end of the sixth. An RBI groundout in the second inning by Alex Holderbach opened the scoring. Oscar Campos collected a two-out, run-scoring single within the fifth prior to a two-run double from C.J. Stubbs. Holderbach provided a fifth and ultimately decisive run during the sixth on a leadoff home run.
Brett Daniels (6-6) matched career highs with nine strikeouts and seven innings pitched in a winning start. Andrew Cabezas (5-7) gave up four runs over 4.2 innings and was tagged for the loss. Jacob Billingsley allowed two late runs but still received credit for a hold, and Luis De Paula closed the contest to earn the save.
LaMonte Wade Jr. continued his Major League Baseball rehab assignment Sunday with the Kernels. In his second game played for Cedar Rapids, he went 1-of-4 with a walk and a ninth-inning single that briefly kept the comeback alive.
Monday's meeting features a pitching matchup of Kernels right-hander Josh Winder (6-2, 2.81) and River Bandits left-hander Jonathan Bermudez (4-1, 4.25). First pitch is slated for 6:35 p.m., and broadcast coverage with Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will be available on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com and www.kernels.com.
Fans can purchase tickets for all 2019 Cedar Rapids Kernels home games including the playoff opener September 4 against the Quad Cities River Bandits by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 18, 2019
- River Bandits Hold off Kernels Late Charge in 5-4 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Comeback Comes up Short for Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Win 7-3 over Chiefs - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Soto Homers as Chiefs Fall Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Wilkel Quells Captains in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short as Beloit loses to Burlington - Beloit Snappers
- Cubs Blast Three Home Runs and Topple Loons 9-5 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps Rally for Win for Second Straight Day - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- You Get a Home Run... You Get a Home Run - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains' Bats Silenced by Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Cardenas Has Three Hits in 4-2 Loss on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- In Final Copa De La Diversion Game, Locos Surprise Dragons, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings Hold on for 9-7 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Slug Late, Drop Date with LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Lansing Scores 6 in 7th to Come from Behind, Defeat Dragons, 9-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 21-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Erik Cha placed on 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 18 vs. Bowling Green (Game 123) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 18 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.