LumberKings Hold on for 9-7 Win
GENEVA, IL - The Clinton LumberKings outlasted the Kane County Cougars for a 9-7 win on Sunday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field. Clinton (33-22, 66-58) lead throughout to pull to within two games of the first place Cougars (35-20, 70-54).
The scoring was initiated by the LumberKings as they plated a pair of runs against Kane County starter Michel Gelabert in the top of the second inning. Evan Edwards brought home both of the runs with a two-run double to right that put Clinton on top for good.
Alberto Guerrero started for the LumberKings and allowed his only run of the game in the bottom of the second. Keshawn Lynch singled home the Cougars run for the first of his four hits for the afternoon.
Guerrero (7-6) earned the win for Clinton with a six-inning outing. He allowed no more runs after the second - surrendering five hits on no walks while striking out five.
In the fourth, the LumberKings jumped out to a four-run lead with one swing of the bat. Following a double from Thomas Jones - and then walk to Evan Edwards, - Marcos Rivera slugged his seventh home run of the year to left for a 5-1 Clinton lead.
The runs were enough to hang Gelabert (3-2) with the loss. Over his five innings of work he allowed two runs on five hits while walking two and striking out three.
After two more runs for the LumberKings in the seventh, Kane County began to come from behind. They put up four runs in the bottom of the seventh and then added single runs in the eighth and ninth innings.
Two runs by the LumberKings in the top of the eighth turned out to be the difference. Zach Wolf allowed the game's final run in the ninth and then retired pinch hitter Zack Shannon with a fly out to center with the potential tying run at second base. The save was Wolf' team leading 12th of the year - his second in as many nights.
The LumberKings will meet the Kane County Cougars for game three of a four-game series on Monday night. Clinton will throw righty George Soriano (4-7, 3.91) while Kane County will tap righty Levi Kelly (5-1, 2.19). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 18, 2019
- River Bandits Hold off Kernels Late Charge in 5-4 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Comeback Comes up Short for Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Win 7-3 over Chiefs - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Soto Homers as Chiefs Fall Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Wilkel Quells Captains in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Late-Inning Comeback Falls Short as Beloit loses to Burlington - Beloit Snappers
- Cubs Blast Three Home Runs and Topple Loons 9-5 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps Rally for Win for Second Straight Day - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- You Get a Home Run... You Get a Home Run - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains' Bats Silenced by Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Cardenas Has Three Hits in 4-2 Loss on Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- In Final Copa De La Diversion Game, Locos Surprise Dragons, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings Hold on for 9-7 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Slug Late, Drop Date with LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Lansing Scores 6 in 7th to Come from Behind, Defeat Dragons, 9-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: August 21-23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Erik Cha placed on 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 18 vs. Bowling Green (Game 123) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 18 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th
- Paul Davis Scholarship Announced