TinCaps Game Notes: August 17 vs. Bowling Green (Game 122)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (22-31, 55-66) vs. Bowling Green Hot Rods (32-21, 71-52)
RHP Adrian Martinez vs. RHP Easton McGee
Saturday, Aug. 17 - Parkview Field (Fort Wayne, Ind.) - First Pitch 7:05 PM (Game 122 / 138)
WATCH: John Nolan & Brett Rump (Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV)
LISTEN: Mike Maahs & Evan Stockton (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
LAST NIGHT: The TinCaps lost to the Lugnuts, 19-1, in Lansing.
ON THIS DAY: 2 years ago, Fort Wayne came within 1 out of what would have been the 1st perfect game in franchise history. Lake Bachar started at South Bend and tossed 7 perfect innings. Joe Galindo followed and retired the first 5 batters he faced before allowing a double in a 7-0 TinCaps win... Bachar is currently in the rotation for Double-A Amarillo. While Bachar has anchored the Sod Poodles' staff, his father (David) is battling cancer. Mr. Bachar has undergone 32 rounds of chemotherapy so far. As a result, the Sod Poodles are holding a "Bachar Strong" fundraiser tonight. The team is wearing special jerseys, which read "No One Fights Alone" on the back, that are being auctioned off.
ROSTER MOVES: As a result of movement around the system with Fernando Tatis Jr. and Ian Kinsler going on the Padres' Injured List, San Diego has transferred infielder Lee Solomon from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore and outfielder Tyler Benson from Fort Wayne to Double-A Amarillo. The TinCaps have received rookie infielders Ripken Reyes (University of San Diego) and Chris Givin (Xavier) from the Arizona League Padres.
ADD 'EM UP: The TinCaps now have had 24 position players and 29 pitchers, for 53 total players this year. Last year's team used 55 players. The franchise record is 63 players in 2016... Relievers Henry Henry and Jose Quezada are the only pitchers on the staff who've been on the active roster all season. Catchers Blake Hunt and Juan Fernandez, along with outfielder Agustin Ruiz, are the only position players who've been active since Opening Day.
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have issued the fewest walks in the MWL this season, averaging just 2.9 per 9 innings. Fort Wayne also has the best ratio of strikeouts to walks (3.10).
MAKING HIS MARK: Infielder Tucupita Marcano has the 2nd lowest K% in the MWL at 9%. He has the 3rd lowest swinging strike% (4%). With 33 walks against only 42 strikeouts, his BB/K ratio (0.79) ranks 5th.
HUNTING HITS: Prior to having Friday off, catcher Blake Hunt tied a season-high with 3 hits on Thursday night, including his 2nd triple of the season...In 51 games since May 26, Hunt has slashed .297/.356/.426 (.782 OPS).
RUIZ BATTED IN: Outfielder Agustin Ruiz ranks 11th in the MWL in RBIs (53).
DWS, OBP: Outfielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton leads the MWL in OBP (.409)... He also leads the league in HBP (28), setting a single-season franchise record. That includes being hit by 4 pitches in a game against Cedar Rapids on July 22 (which tied a MiLB record and has never happened before in a MLB game). Fort Wayne's previous franchise record for HBP in a season was 23... Seth Beer, a D-backs prospect with Double-A Jackson, is the only minor leaguer who's been hit more this year (30)... Williams-Sutton ranks 7th in the MWL in BB% (14%)... His 133 wRC+ is tops in the league among active players. (wRC+ is a stat to estimate a player's offensive contribution.)
WALK & RUN: Center fielder Jawuan Harris ranks 3rd in the MWL in stolen bases with 29. He's the only player in the league who's stolen more than 22 bases while be caught stealing fewer than 5 times... Harris ranks 6th in the MWL in BB% (14%).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Whitecaps Walk Away in Defeat - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Picantes Take Opener at West Michigan - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Unable to Exterminate Bees As Comeback Falls Short - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Shut Down Lugnuts, 6-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Fall 9-2 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sellout Crowd Sees Comeback Fall Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Rattlers Batter Peoria 9-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Andrews Shines in 4-2 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars' Division Lead Shrinks in Loss to Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Hold on and Top Loons 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Newcomers Stubbs and Bellozo Play Large Part in 4-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Drop Series Opener to TinCaps, 3-2 on Saturday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Salazar, Demurias Combine on Five-Hit Shutout in 6-0 Dragons Win - Dayton Dragons
- Steer's Solo Shot Not Enough Saturday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Sellout Crowd Spurs TinCaps to Comeback Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 17 vs. Bowling Green (Game 122) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- LaMonte Wade, Jr. joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Scolamiero Homers for Only Captains Run in 8-1 Loss - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Former TinCap Trea Turner to Play in World Series
- TinCaps up for Minor League Baseball Awards
- Minor League Baseball President Pat O'Conner Visits Parkview Field During Midwest League Fall Meetings
- TinCaps to Enhance Parkview Field Experience in 2020
- Former Fort Wayne Players in 2019 MLB Postseason