Scolamiero Homers for Only Captains Run in 8-1 Loss
(Eastlake, OH) - The Lake County Captains (27-26, 67-55) lost the rubber game of a three-game series to the South Bend Cubs (29-24, 66-55) on Friday night at Classic Park. For the second time in three games, Clark Scolamiero homered for the Captains' only run. Lake County lost, 8-1.
South Bend grabbed a 1-0 lead in the first inning, thanks in part to a pair of walks by Captains starter Alex Royalty. The right-hander walked Clayton Daniel with one out, gave up a single to Andy Weber and walked Nelson Maldonado to load the bases. Nelson Velazquez then hit a sacrifice fly to left field that plated Daniel for the game's first run.
The Cubs added three more runs in the third. Darius Hill led off with a single and advanced to third on an errant pickoff throw by Royalty. After Daniel worked a walk, Weber singled home Hill. Maldonado came up next and bounced a grounder to third. Raynel Delgado fired to second to force out Weber, but Jose Fermin threw wildly to first, allowing Daniel to score and moving Maldonado to second. Cole Roederer singled home Maldonado later in the inning to give the Cubs a 4-0 lead.
Another Captains error helped the Cubs score another run. Maldonado worked a one-out walk and, two batters later, Roederer singled into right field. Maldonado tried to go from first to third and Scolamiero came up throwing, but the ball skipped past Delgado at third and Maldonado scored to stretch the Cubs' lead to 5-0.
Scolamiero connected with his second solo homer of the series in the fifth. Facing Cubs starter Derek Casey to lead off the frame, Scolamiero pulled a fly ball over the right field wall to cut the Cubs' advantage to 5-1.
South Bend added three more runs against reliever Luis Araujo in the eighth and ninth. Jake Slaughter led off the eighth with a double, moved to third on a wild pitch and later scored on a ground out by Rafelin Lorenzo. Andy Weber led off the ninth with a double, Araujo walked Roederer with two outs and Slaughter singled in Weber. Fidel Mejia then hit a grounder to second and Fermin yanked the throw into the Captains' dugout. Roederer scored on the error to give South Bend an 8-1 lead.
Casey (5-7) earned the win for the Cubs. The right-hander allowed just one run over seven innings. He struck out five, walked one and surrendered four hits.
Royalty (5-7) took the loss. He pitched five innings and allowed five runs, three earned, on five hits. Royalty walked five and struck out four.
The Captains lost two out of three games to South Bend and will hit the road for a three-game series at the West Michigan Whitecaps on Saturday. First pitch for game one is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Fifth Third Ballpark.
Individual game tickets for all Captains games are on sale at the Classic Park box office, online at captainsbaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Mini ticket plans for the 2019 season are still available for great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Whitecaps Walk Away in Defeat - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Picantes Take Opener at West Michigan - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Unable to Exterminate Bees As Comeback Falls Short - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Shut Down Lugnuts, 6-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Fall 9-2 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sellout Crowd Sees Comeback Fall Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Rattlers Batter Peoria 9-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Andrews Shines in 4-2 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars' Division Lead Shrinks in Loss to Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Hold on and Top Loons 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Newcomers Stubbs and Bellozo Play Large Part in 4-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Drop Series Opener to TinCaps, 3-2 on Saturday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Salazar, Demurias Combine on Five-Hit Shutout in 6-0 Dragons Win - Dayton Dragons
- Steer's Solo Shot Not Enough Saturday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Sellout Crowd Spurs TinCaps to Comeback Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 17 vs. Bowling Green (Game 122) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- LaMonte Wade, Jr. joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Scolamiero Homers for Only Captains Run in 8-1 Loss - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake County Captains Stories
- Captains Promote Roth to Assistant GM, Name Maskey Director of Turf Management
- Official Statement from the Captains Regarding Sunday's Trunk Or Treat Event and COVID-19
- NCAA DIII College World Series Coming to Eastlake in 2024
- Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC Will Begin August 22
- Captains Postpone Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC