Steer's Solo Shot Not Enough Saturday
DAVENPORT, IOWA - Despite a game-opening home run from Spencer Steer, the Cedar Rapids Kernels lost to the Quad Cities River Bandits, 4-1, Saturday at Modern Woodmen Park. Saturday's series opener also marked the first outing for LaMonte Wade Jr. in his Major League Baseball rehab assignment from the Minnesota Twins.
Steer drove Cedar Rapids (31-23, 70-54) to a 1-0 lead on the fifth pitch of the game. He led off the first inning with a solo shot to left field for his second Midwest League homer and the league-leading 101st blast by the Kernels overall.
Tyler Palm (3-8) took a perfect game into the fourth before allowing Quad Cities (30-24, 73-47) to even the score at 1-1. Wilyer Abreu's one-out triple broke up the perfecto, and Grae Kessinger singled past a drawn-in infield to bring Abreu home.
C.J. Stubbs launched the River Bandits to their winning margin of 4-1 within the fifth. Austin Dennis picked up a one-out single and stole second base before Zach Biermann drew a walk. Stubbs batted next and delivered a tiebreaking home run. Palm's four runs allowed over six total innings put him in the loss column.
Jose Bravo (5-4) was the winning pitcher Saturday, and Valente Bellozo earned the save in his Midwest League debut. Bravo allowed just one run in five innings of work. Bellozo tallied a game-high five strikeouts over the final four frames.
Wade, who previously played for the Kernels in 2015 and 2016, batted second and played right field Saturday in his first game since dislocating his right thumb during a Twins contest last month. He went 0-of-3 and was errorless defensively until he was replaced by Tyler Webb within the seventh.
This four-game series resumes Sunday at 5:15 p.m., and Cedar Rapids right-hander Andrew Cabezas (5-6, 3.77) will pitch against Quad Cities right-hander Brett Daniels (5-6, 1.97). Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will call the game on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com and www.kernels.com.
Fans can purchase tickets for all 2019 Cedar Rapids Kernels home games including the playoff opener September 4 against the Quad Cities River Bandits by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Whitecaps Walk Away in Defeat - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Picantes Take Opener at West Michigan - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Unable to Exterminate Bees As Comeback Falls Short - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Shut Down Lugnuts, 6-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Fall 9-2 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sellout Crowd Sees Comeback Fall Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Rattlers Batter Peoria 9-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Andrews Shines in 4-2 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars' Division Lead Shrinks in Loss to Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Hold on and Top Loons 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Newcomers Stubbs and Bellozo Play Large Part in 4-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Drop Series Opener to TinCaps, 3-2 on Saturday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Salazar, Demurias Combine on Five-Hit Shutout in 6-0 Dragons Win - Dayton Dragons
- Steer's Solo Shot Not Enough Saturday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Sellout Crowd Spurs TinCaps to Comeback Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 17 vs. Bowling Green (Game 122) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- LaMonte Wade, Jr. joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Scolamiero Homers for Only Captains Run in 8-1 Loss - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks