Sellout Crowd Spurs TinCaps to Comeback Victory
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - In front of 7,784 fans (the 15th sellout crowd of the season), the TinCaps rallied from an early deficit en route to a 3-2 win over the Bowling Green Hot Rods (Tampa Bay Rays affiliate) on a warm summer night. Fort Wayne has now won nine of its last 11 games at Parkview Field.
The TinCaps (23-31, 56-66) jumped out to an early 1-0 lead on a no-doubt Ethan Skender home run to left field in the second inning. Since joining Fort Wayne on July 14, Skender is batting .320 in 27 games with nine extra-base hits and 19 RBIs.
Bowling Green (32-22, 71-53) scored twice in the third to take the lead, but the lead was short lived, as the TinCaps roared back in front in the sixth. First, consecutive triples by Ripken Reyes, in his team debut, and Blake Hunt tied the score at two. Then, three straight walks eventually brought home Hunt and gave the 'Caps a lead they would never give up. In his last two games, Hunt is 5-for-9 with two triples, two RBIs and two runs scored.
The TinCaps bullpen was nearly unhittable in five combined innings of work. Dylan Coleman (2.0 IP), Franklin Van Gurp (1.0 IP) and Mason Fox (2.0 IP) combined for 11 strikeouts while allowing just one hit in their scintillating innings of relief.
Fox was particularly awe-inspiring. The former two-way player at Gardner-Webb University struck out all six batters he faced. The right-hander has now thrown seven scoreless innings in five relief appearances with the TinCaps, racking up 16 strikeouts and no walks in the process.
Against Eastern Division-leading Bowling Green, Fort Wayne pitchers matched a season high for strikeouts in a nine-inning game with 15 total.
Sunday, August 18 vs. Bowling Green (3:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Ryan Weathers
- Hot Rods Probable Starter: RHP Zack Trageton
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Whitecaps Walk Away in Defeat - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Picantes Take Opener at West Michigan - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Unable to Exterminate Bees As Comeback Falls Short - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Shut Down Lugnuts, 6-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Fall 9-2 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sellout Crowd Sees Comeback Fall Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Rattlers Batter Peoria 9-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Andrews Shines in 4-2 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars' Division Lead Shrinks in Loss to Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Hold on and Top Loons 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Newcomers Stubbs and Bellozo Play Large Part in 4-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Drop Series Opener to TinCaps, 3-2 on Saturday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Salazar, Demurias Combine on Five-Hit Shutout in 6-0 Dragons Win - Dayton Dragons
- Steer's Solo Shot Not Enough Saturday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Sellout Crowd Spurs TinCaps to Comeback Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 17 vs. Bowling Green (Game 122) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- LaMonte Wade, Jr. joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Scolamiero Homers for Only Captains Run in 8-1 Loss - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.