Cubs Hold on and Top Loons 4-3
Midland, MI: The Great Lakes Loons made it interesting against the South Bend Cubs on Saturday night from Dow Diamond with a late rally that cut the South Bend lead to just one run. Up 4-0 heading to the 9th, South Bend made two errors in the inning but held on and got past the late Loons comeback bid to win 4-3.
The Cubs had total control of the game most of the night thanks to a hot start at the plate and shutdown starting pitching by Peyton Remy. Remy put together one of his better starts this season with 5.1 scoreless innings and just three hits allowed. The right-hander matched a season high on strikeouts with six.
Offensively, South Bend provided early run support with a big top of the 2nd inning against Great Lakes starter Kevin Malisheski. The tall righty worked 1-2-3 innings in the 1st and 3rd innings but had trouble in the 2nd. The Cubs smacked five hits in the inning alone and scored three runs. This included an Andy Weber single for his 120th hit this year.
South Bend scored their final run of the night when Darius Hill blooped a ball into right field to score Gustavo Polanco. A close throw to the plate was late as Polanco slid in safely.
Out of the bullpen, Fauris Guerrero provided a spark for the Cubs and did not allow a run through 2.1 innings. The right-hander also struck out a season high six batters.
Great Lakes made a valiant effort in the bottom of the 9th and almost completed their comeback. After two errors were made, the Loons received a double by Jair Camargo to score one run. Then Leonel Valera sprinted home on a wild pitch, followed by a RBI ground out by Matt Cogen.
Medina shut the door after the Cogen at-bat by getting Chris Roller and James Outman to both fly out. He picked up the save and Remy earned his fourth win. Additionally, Chicago Cubs 2019 second round pick Chase Strumpf made his Midwest League debut tonight. The UCLA product went 0/4 in the game.
With tonight's win, the Cubs improve to 67-55 on the season and separate themselves by a game over the Lansing Lugnuts for the wild card. Because of a Lansing loss, South Bend now leads the wild card by two games. Since Bowling Green also lost, the Cubs are now just two games back of first place in the Eastern Division.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Whitecaps Walk Away in Defeat - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Picantes Take Opener at West Michigan - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Unable to Exterminate Bees As Comeback Falls Short - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Shut Down Lugnuts, 6-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Fall 9-2 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sellout Crowd Sees Comeback Fall Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Rattlers Batter Peoria 9-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Andrews Shines in 4-2 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars' Division Lead Shrinks in Loss to Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Hold on and Top Loons 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Newcomers Stubbs and Bellozo Play Large Part in 4-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Drop Series Opener to TinCaps, 3-2 on Saturday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Salazar, Demurias Combine on Five-Hit Shutout in 6-0 Dragons Win - Dayton Dragons
- Steer's Solo Shot Not Enough Saturday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Sellout Crowd Spurs TinCaps to Comeback Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 17 vs. Bowling Green (Game 122) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- LaMonte Wade, Jr. joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Scolamiero Homers for Only Captains Run in 8-1 Loss - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend Cubs Valentine's Day Packages Now Available with Delivery by Stu and Swoop
- South Bend Cubs Receive Invitation to Join New Minor League Baseball System
- Watch the ACC Football Championship at Four Winds Field December 19
- South Bend Cubs Announce New Assistant General Manager
- Cubs Offer Black Friday Ticket Packages Available November 27