Cougars' Division Lead Shrinks in Loss to Clinton
Geneva, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (70-53, 35-19) dropped a 4-2 decision to the Clinton LumberKings (65-58, 32-22) on Saturday night at Northwestern Medicine Field. It was the Cougars fifth loss in seven games, lowering the Cougars lead in the division to three games over the LumberKings.
In the top of the second inning, Cougar starter Matt Tabor allowed three singles to load the bases with one out. Samuel Castro made it 1-0 Clinton with a sacrifice fly. The Cougars responded in the bottom of the third. Dominic Fletcher's broken bat single through the left side brought Brandon Leyton home. Zac Almond gave the Cougars their only lead with an RBI ground out.
In the fifth, Clinton took the lead for good. Cristopher Torres singled and stole second. With one out, J.D. Osborne blooped a ball to shallow right-center that dropped between two outfielders and scored Torres to tie the game. Will Banfield's RBI triple pushed the LumberKings in front, 3-2. In the ninth, the LumberKings made it a two-run advantage on Osborne's RBI ground out.
Kenny Hernandez (6-3) allowed the two fifth inning runs, charging him with the loss. Tanner Andrews (6-3) hurled seven innings of two-run ball to earn the win. Zach Wolf (11) notched the save with a 1-2-3 ninth.
The Cougars and LumberKings play game two of the four-game series on Sunday afternoon with first pitch scheduled for 1:00. For tickets call 630-282-8811 or online at kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Whitecaps Walk Away in Defeat - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Picantes Take Opener at West Michigan - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Unable to Exterminate Bees As Comeback Falls Short - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Shut Down Lugnuts, 6-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Fall 9-2 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sellout Crowd Sees Comeback Fall Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Rattlers Batter Peoria 9-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Andrews Shines in 4-2 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars' Division Lead Shrinks in Loss to Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Hold on and Top Loons 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Newcomers Stubbs and Bellozo Play Large Part in 4-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Drop Series Opener to TinCaps, 3-2 on Saturday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Salazar, Demurias Combine on Five-Hit Shutout in 6-0 Dragons Win - Dayton Dragons
- Steer's Solo Shot Not Enough Saturday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Sellout Crowd Spurs TinCaps to Comeback Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 17 vs. Bowling Green (Game 122) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- LaMonte Wade, Jr. joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Scolamiero Homers for Only Captains Run in 8-1 Loss - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season