Hot Rods Drop Series Opener to TinCaps, 3-2 on Saturday
Fort Wayne, IN - Jonathan Aranda extended his hit streak to nine games in Bowling Green's 3-2 loss to the Fort Wayne TinCaps to open up a four-game series at Parkview Field in Fort Wayne, Indiana on Saturday night. The Hot Rods are 32-22 in the second half and 71-53 overall ahead of Sunday's 2:05 PM CDT first pitch in the second game of the series.
The TinCaps took a 1-0 lead in the second behind a two-out homer off the bat of Ethan Skender, but the Hot Rods backed starter Easton McGee with a pair of runs in the third to take the lead. Chris Betts led off the frame with a single to right field against Fort Wayne starter Adrian Martinez. Grant Witherspoon drove Betts in to tie the game with a double to right-center, moving to third on the throw to home. Osmy Gregorio lifted a sacrifice fly to left field in the next at-bat with Witherspoon tagging and scoring to give the Hot Rods a 2-1 advantage.
Fort Wayne tipped the scales in their favor against McGee and Bowling Green reliever Chris Muller in the sixth. With one out, Ripken Reyes and Blake Hunt tripled in consecutive at-bats to tie the game while Chris Givin worked a two-out walk to chase McGee from the game. Muller entered from the bullpen and walked both Dwanya Williams-Sutton and Ethan Skender to force home the go-ahead run to give the TinCaps a 3-2 lead. The Hot Rods were held to one hit and three walks over the final five innings, striking out 11 times as the TinCaps took game one of the four-game set.
McGee (7-5) took the loss after working 5.2 innings while allowing three runs on six hits with a walk and two strikeouts. Muller allowed two walks over 1.1 innings of work with two strikeouts. Joel Peguero threw a seamless inning in the eighth, striking out one TinCap.
Notes: Aranda extended his hit streak to nine games... Cardenas has a four-game streak... Proctor tied a career-high with three walks... It's the second time in five days he's had a three-walk game... BG was 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position... The Hot Rods are 21-31 when their opponent scores first... They're 20-21 in one-run games... BG has a record of 22-17 in the first game of a series... The Hot Rods and TinCaps continue their four-game series on Sunday with a 2:05 PM CDT first pitch at Parkview Field... Bowling Green will send RH Caleb Sampen (9-4, 2.68) against Tincaps LH Ryan Weathers (3-5, 3.59)... Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM and the Hot Rods Radio Network on the TuneIn Radio and MiLB First Pitch apps, available for smartphones.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Whitecaps Walk Away in Defeat - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Picantes Take Opener at West Michigan - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Unable to Exterminate Bees As Comeback Falls Short - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Shut Down Lugnuts, 6-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Fall 9-2 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Sellout Crowd Sees Comeback Fall Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Rattlers Batter Peoria 9-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Andrews Shines in 4-2 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars' Division Lead Shrinks in Loss to Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Hold on and Top Loons 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Newcomers Stubbs and Bellozo Play Large Part in 4-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Drop Series Opener to TinCaps, 3-2 on Saturday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Salazar, Demurias Combine on Five-Hit Shutout in 6-0 Dragons Win - Dayton Dragons
- Steer's Solo Shot Not Enough Saturday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Sellout Crowd Spurs TinCaps to Comeback Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 17 vs. Bowling Green (Game 122) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- LaMonte Wade, Jr. joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Scolamiero Homers for Only Captains Run in 8-1 Loss - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020