Timbers Weekly Update: April 18, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers travel for a road match against Eastern Conference side Columbus Crew SC on Saturday, April 20, at MAPFRE Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. Beginning at 4:30 p.m. (Pacific), Saturday's match will feature a local television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS (KPDX) with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Saturday's match marks the 11th meeting all-time, including playoffs, between Portland and Columbus, which includes a 2-1 win on the road at Columbus in the 2015 MLS Cup Final. The Timbers lead the all-time series with a record of 5-3-2. Portland won the last meeting between the two sides at Providence Park on Sept. 19, 2018, registering a 3-2 win. The Timbers have scored multiple goals in each of their last six matches across all competitions against Crew SC.
Extended road trip
The Timbers continue their extended road swing with their seventh match as part of their first 12 games on the road to begin the season. Portland's 12-game road trip to start the 2019 season is due to completion work on the $85 million transformation of Providence Park. During that stretch, the Timbers will travel roughly 30,000 miles, including trips to Cincinnati, Dallas, Columbus, Toronto, Houston and Philadelphia.
Crew SC (4-2-1, 13pts) return home to play host to Portland as part of a stretch of three games in eight days. In its last match, Columbus fell on the road 1-0 to the Montreal Impact on April 13. At MAPFRE Stadium, Crew SC have posted a record of 3-0-1, with wins in their last three home matches. Gyasi Zardes leads the way for Crew SC with three goals in six games.
The Timbers take on Toronto FC in a road match on Saturday, April 27, at BMO Field. Beginning at 12 noon (Pacific), the match will feature a local television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
TEAM MEDIA SOURCES
Television: "Timbers in 30"
Throughout the season, "Timbers in 30," hosted by Jake Zivin and Ross Smith, will offer inside access to the club and provide analysis with in-studio appearances from Timbers coaches and players. Previously aired shows and "Timbers in 30" features can be found at www.timbers.com. This week, "Timbers in 30" airs on Friday at 6:30 p.m. (Pacific) on FOX 12 Oregon with Timbers midfielder Cristhian Paredes.
Radio: "Talk Timbers"
The Timbers' weekly radio talk show, "Talk Timbers," airs every Wednesday evening beginning at 6 p.m. (Pacific) on flagship station 1029 and 750 The Game. "Talk Timbers" provides team and league news as well as interviews with Timbers coaches and players during the season, and also features regular updates on T2 and Portland Thorns FC. Timbers assistant coach Carlos Llamosa and midfielder Sebastián Blanco joined this week's show. Fans can submit questions, provide comments or simply follow the conversation on the show on Twitter with the hashtag #TalkTimbers.
Fans can tune in to the show live on 1029 and 750 The Game or listen online at www.1029thegame.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 18, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: April 18, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- MLS Clubs to Seek Training Compensation and Solidarity Payments Consistent with FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players - MLS
- Major League Soccer to Expand to 30 Clubs - MLS
- Sebas Mendez Providing Crucial Ver Satility in City's Midfield - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Orlando City to Face Vancouver on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer and U.S. Soccer Partner with Headspace in Multi-Year Deal - MLS
- New York City FC Launches City Select League to Expand Academy Structure - New York City FC
- Philadelphia Union, UniMas Partner to Offer Club's First-Ever Spanish-Language Broadcast Partnership - Philadelphia Union
- Generation adidas Cup to Feature Concert at National Soccer Hall of Fame - MLS
- Minnesota United FC vs. Toronto FC - Minnesota United FC
- MD Anderson and Houston Dynamo to Host End Cancer Night April 27 - Houston Dynamo
- U.S. Men's National Team to Host Venezuela at Nippert Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- New England Revolution and Chelsea Football Club Join the March of the Living - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Faces Expansion Side FC Cincinnati Friday at Nippert Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Hwang goal, all-around performance give 'Caps first win in shutout over MLS leaders LAFC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Loses 1-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday Evening - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Expanded Partnership with Special Olympics Oregon
- Timbers Earn Point on the Road in Draw with Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 14, 2019
- Timbers Fall 1-0 on the Road to Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 9, 2019