MD Anderson and Houston Dynamo to Host End Cancer Night April 27
HOUSTON - The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center proudly presents End Cancer Night at BBVA Compass Stadium Saturday, April 27 at 7 p.m. as the Houston Dynamo take on Columbus Crew SC. The special evening will honor cancer survivors of all ages and will feature an extraordinary halftime performance by Caly Bevier, America's Got Talent 2016 semi-finalist and stage 3 ovarian cancer survivor.
"We are excited for the opportunity to join forces with Major League Soccer (MLS) fans from across the country in the fight to end cancer," said Peter WT Pisters, M.D., president of MD Anderson. "End Cancer Night will give us the chance to honor and support the countless patients and their families fighting this battle as well as raise awareness about the importance of cancer prevention and awareness."
Fans will have a number of ways to join the fight to end cancer during the game. On-site activations will include:
Co-branded MD Anderson and Houston Dynamo scarves distributed to the first 7,500 fans
Custom MD Anderson soccer patches shared with fans who pledge to be tobacco-free
Cancer strike-through giant letters for photos and social media sharing
Opportunities to donate to MD Anderson's mission to end cancer
Jeffrey S. Wefel, Ph.D., an associate professor of Neuropsychology at MD Anderson and a former professional soccer player will participate in a ceremonial "First Kick." Throughout the game, cancer prevention PSAs featuring Houston Dynamo right back Chris Duvall will share healthy lifestyle tips with fans. During halftime, Bevier will perform her cover of Rachel Platten's 2015 hit track - Fight Song as fans will be encouraged to hold up their co-branded MD Anderson and Houston Dynamo scarves. Simultaneously, a gigantic strike-through-cancer scarf will be unveiled on the field.
"Our partnership with MD Anderson has already been so well received throughout the Houston community as well as the larger soccer community, and we are very excited to team up with them on End Cancer Night to shine a light on the tremendous work that everyone associated with MD Anderson does," said Dynamo president John Walker. "Our players, coaches and staff have all embraced the mission that drives MD Anderson and are proud to bear that iconic logo on their jerseys, and our entire organization is excited to continue to drive awareness and support of that mission around End Cancer Night."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 18, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: April 18, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- MLS Clubs to Seek Training Compensation and Solidarity Payments Consistent with FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players - MLS
- Major League Soccer to Expand to 30 Clubs - MLS
- Sebas Mendez Providing Crucial Ver Satility in City's Midfield - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Orlando City to Face Vancouver on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer and U.S. Soccer Partner with Headspace in Multi-Year Deal - MLS
- New York City FC Launches City Select League to Expand Academy Structure - New York City FC
- Philadelphia Union, UniMas Partner to Offer Club's First-Ever Spanish-Language Broadcast Partnership - Philadelphia Union
- Generation adidas Cup to Feature Concert at National Soccer Hall of Fame - MLS
- Minnesota United FC vs. Toronto FC - Minnesota United FC
- MD Anderson and Houston Dynamo to Host End Cancer Night April 27 - Houston Dynamo
- U.S. Men's National Team to Host Venezuela at Nippert Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- New England Revolution and Chelsea Football Club Join the March of the Living - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Faces Expansion Side FC Cincinnati Friday at Nippert Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Hwang goal, all-around performance give 'Caps first win in shutout over MLS leaders LAFC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Loses 1-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday Evening - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- CONCACAF Nations League Suspended, Including Houston Matches
- Houston Dynamo Joins Major League Soccer for 'MLS UNITES' Campaign in Response to COVID-19
- Dynamo Classic Rewind Series to Re-Broadcast Most Memorable Matches in Club History
- Major League Soccer and National Women's Soccer League Extend Training Moratoriums
- Kiki Struna Undergoes Successful Arthroscopic Surgery to Treat Left Knee