Sebas Mendez Providing Crucial Ver Satility in City's Midfield
Just ten days after Luiz Muzzi accepted the job as Orlando City's Executive Vice President of Soccer Operations, he brought in a player who may be the archetype for the type of roster he hopes to build.
Muzzie described the signing of 21-year-old Ecuadorian midfielder Sebas Méndez.
"Sebas is a very exciting, young player who we've been following for a while. He adds a level of versatility, athleticism and overall quality to our team."
It hasn't taken Méndez long to live up to the big bosses expectations.
Through seven games of the 2019 season, Méndez leads Orlando City in passing percentage(86.7%) and ranks second in tackles per match (2.7).
The midfielder's plus ability going forward has proved a pleasant surprise for his head coach.
"He has a good understanding of playing through the thirds," said James O'Connor. "I think that's the biggest thing for us is making sure that whoever the midfielders are that they have a good understanding of breaking lines. I think that's something Sebas does very effectively. He'll play forward on angles and make it very difficult for the opponents."
In Orlando's past two matches, Méndez has completed 99 of 109 passes. As evident in the distribution charts below, Méndez has served as a connection between the backline and the forwards.
"My job is to get the ball out of the back easily to help our forwards get the ball and move up the field," said Méndez. "To recover a lot and obviously get them the ball as much as I can."
Méndez will look to continue his string of quality play when Orlando City hosts Vancouver on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 18, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: April 18, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- MLS Clubs to Seek Training Compensation and Solidarity Payments Consistent with FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players - MLS
- Major League Soccer to Expand to 30 Clubs - MLS
- Sebas Mendez Providing Crucial Ver Satility in City's Midfield - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Orlando City to Face Vancouver on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer and U.S. Soccer Partner with Headspace in Multi-Year Deal - MLS
- New York City FC Launches City Select League to Expand Academy Structure - New York City FC
- Philadelphia Union, UniMas Partner to Offer Club's First-Ever Spanish-Language Broadcast Partnership - Philadelphia Union
- Generation adidas Cup to Feature Concert at National Soccer Hall of Fame - MLS
- Minnesota United FC vs. Toronto FC - Minnesota United FC
- MD Anderson and Houston Dynamo to Host End Cancer Night April 27 - Houston Dynamo
- U.S. Men's National Team to Host Venezuela at Nippert Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- New England Revolution and Chelsea Football Club Join the March of the Living - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Faces Expansion Side FC Cincinnati Friday at Nippert Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Hwang goal, all-around performance give 'Caps first win in shutout over MLS leaders LAFC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Loses 1-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday Evening - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.