Hwang goal, all-around performance give 'Caps first win in shutout over MLS leaders LAFC
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC dealt MLS leaders Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) their first loss of the season at BC Place on Wednesday evening, coming away with a 1-0 victory behind Inbeom Hwang's first MLS goal and strong contributions across the board.
Postmatch interviews: https://mlssoccer.box.com/s/5nakj09pjkrfqq9h8ne9ow38jjq4vxc5 The result gives the 'Caps their first win under head coach Marc Dos Santos, fittingly coming against his former club where he served as an assistant under Bob Bradley in 2018.
It was an impressive outing for Whitecaps FC, shutting down an LAFC offence that had been off to a blistering start in 2019, entering the evening with 21 goals, seven more than their closest competition. 'Caps goalkeeper Maxime Crépeau made three saves for his second clean sheet of the season, combining with the WFC backline to clamp down on MLS goals and assists leader Carlos Vela.
The 'Caps took the advantage in the 27th minute. Ali Adnan attacked along the left flank and fed a wide-open Victor "PC" Giro at the edge of the box. Giro's shot banged off the right post and bounced right to Hwang, who slammed in the rebound with his left foot to open his MLS account and give the 'Caps the 1-0 lead.
LAFC would put forth their weapons, looking for the equalizer but the 'Caps would not relent.
Crépeau would make a difficult save in traffic just before halftime to keep the momentum on the home side going into the break. In the second half, Doneil Henry and Adnan combined to snuff out an LAFC chance up close early. Érik Godoy and Jake Nerwinski would get into the mix as well, giving LAFC no breathing space and helping complete the shutout.
The Vancouver attacking corps led by Yordy Reyna, Lucas Venuto, and substitute Lass Bangoura kept the LAFC defence busy with enterprising runs in the second half, but Hwang's goal would be enough for the evening to net Vancouver the three points.
Whitecaps FC now look for back-to-back wins as they hit the road this Saturday, April 20 when they visit Orlando City SC. Kickoff at Orlando City Stadium is at 12 p.m. PT live on CTV/TSN and TSN Radio 1040. They are back home the following Saturday, April 27 when they host Philadelphia Union at BC Place. Visit whitecapsfc.com for ticket information.
WFC Man of the Match: Ali Adnan
Referee: Ramy Touchan
27' - VAN - Inbeom Hwang
Possession: VAN 39.1% - LAFC 60.9%
Shots: VAN 11 - LAFC 14
Shots on Goal: VAN 4 - LAFC 3
Saves: VAN 3 - LAFC 3
Fouls: VAN 17 - LAFC 17
Offsides: VAN 2 - LAFC 0
Corners: VAN 5 - LAFC 3
19' - VAN - Doneil Henry
39' - VAN - Victor "PC" Giro
53' - LAFC - Danilo Silva
77' - VAN - Inbeom Hwang
80' - LAFC - Mohamed El-Munir
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
16.Maxime Crépeau; 28.Jake Nerwinski, 22.Érik Godoy, 2.Doneil Henry, 53.Ali Adnan; 4.Inbeom Hwang, 6.Jon Erice © (8.Felipe Martins 79'), 31.Russell Teibert; 7.Lucas Venuto (19.Lass Bangoura 74'), 29.Yordy Reyna, 94.Victor "PC" Giro (12.Fredy Montero 90'+2')
Substitutes not used
18.Zac MacMath, 9.Joaquín Ardaiz, 13.Derek Cornelius, 23.Scott Sutter
Los Angeles Football Club
1.Tyler Miller; 28.Shaft Brewer, 6.Danilo Silva, 4.Eddie Segura, 12.Niko Hämäläinen (13.Mohamed El-Munir 65'); 11.Peter-Lee Vassell, 20.Eduard Atuesta, 7.Latif Blessing (14.Mark-Anthony Kaye 42'); 10.Carlos Vela ©, 21.Christian Ramirez (18.Josh Pérez 65'), 9.Diego Rossi
Substitutes not used
23.Pablo Sisniega, 2.Jordan Harvey, 3.Steven Beitashour, 26.Adrien Pérez
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 18, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: April 18, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- MLS Clubs to Seek Training Compensation and Solidarity Payments Consistent with FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players - MLS
- Major League Soccer to Expand to 30 Clubs - MLS
- Sebas Mendez Providing Crucial Ver Satility in City's Midfield - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Orlando City to Face Vancouver on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer and U.S. Soccer Partner with Headspace in Multi-Year Deal - MLS
- New York City FC Launches City Select League to Expand Academy Structure - New York City FC
- Philadelphia Union, UniMas Partner to Offer Club's First-Ever Spanish-Language Broadcast Partnership - Philadelphia Union
- Generation adidas Cup to Feature Concert at National Soccer Hall of Fame - MLS
- Minnesota United FC vs. Toronto FC - Minnesota United FC
- MD Anderson and Houston Dynamo to Host End Cancer Night April 27 - Houston Dynamo
- U.S. Men's National Team to Host Venezuela at Nippert Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- New England Revolution and Chelsea Football Club Join the March of the Living - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Faces Expansion Side FC Cincinnati Friday at Nippert Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Hwang goal, all-around performance give 'Caps first win in shutout over MLS leaders LAFC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Loses 1-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday Evening - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Welcome Irish Club Beechwood FC to Live Skills Clinic Presented by Canadian Tire Jumpstart
- Whitecaps FC to Begin Voluntary Individual Workouts
- Whitecaps FC Live Skills Clinics Welcome Clubs Across Canada and Abroad
- Whitecaps FC Forward Yordy Reyna Enters 14-Day Quarantine After Breaking Physical Distancing Protocols
- Whitecaps FC Unveil Frontline Heroes Artwork Fundraising Campaign by Local Artist Carson Ting to Help Greater Vancouver Food Bank