Timbers Record 3-0 Win against San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers recorded their fifth consecutive win, extending their unbeaten streak to six games, with a 3-0 win over the San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park on Sunday night. Jaroslaw Niezgoda notched his first career brace for Portland in a six-minute span to begin the second half, while Diego Chara registered a pair of assists.
On The Attack
With three goals against San Jose, Portland has tallied 36 goals in regular-season play in 2020, which ranks as the second-most in MLS behind only LAFC (38). The Timbers are the only team in the league with four players with five or more goals (Jeremy Ebobisse, Felipe Mora, Niezgoda, Diego Valeri) and the only team in MLS with three players with seven or more goals (Ebobisse, Mora, Valeri). Portland has scored multiple goals in seven of its last 10 matches, including four games with three or more goals, while scoring 28 total goals. Individually, Mora has scored seven goals during that span, recording four goals in the last three games.
Braces In Bunches
Niezgoda tallied his first career brace for the Timbers in the match. With his brace against San Jose, Niezgoda became the fourth different player to score a brace for Portland this season. It also marked the third brace by a Timbers player in their last two matches after Ebobisse and Mora each recorded a brace against the LA Galaxy on Oct. 7.
Diego Chara Assists
Diego Chara delivered his fifth and sixth assists of the season, setting a career high for Chara in his 10 seasons with the club. Chara's six assists lead the club. Notably, Chara has tallied five assists against San Jose in three games this season, including a pair of multi-assist games. Chara now has 25 assists for the Timbers, which is the eighth-most assists across all eras for Portland.
Against San Jose
With the win, the Timbers improved to 2-0-1 against the Earthquakes in 2020. In those three matches, Portland has outscored San Jose by a margin of 10-2. The Timbers are 13-5-8 all-time against the Earthquakes, extending their home unbeaten streak against San Jose to 13 games (10-0-3), which also includes an eight-game winning streak.
POR - Jaroslaw Niezgoda (Diego Chara, Eryk Williamson), 46th minute: Diego Chara delivered a pinpoint cross from the right wing to the penalty spot for Jaroslaw Niezgoda, who deposited a header into the back of the net.
POR - Jaroslaw Niezgoda, 52nd minute: San Jose goalkeeper James Marcinkowski knocked the ball away inside the box and the Earthquakes attempted to clear the ball, but it landed for Niezgoda at the edge of the box and he curled the ball inside the left post.
POR - Felipe Mora (Diego Chara, Marvin LorÃa), 86th minute: Diego Chara made a run down the right side of the box, receiving a perfectly-weighted through ball from Marvin LorÃa. Chara dribbled to the end line and delivered a cross to Felipe Mora, who converted with a header from close range.
The Timbers five-match winning streak is tied for the longest streak in MLS this season with Toronto FC's current streak.
Portland's 30 points are the most points the Timbers have ever had through 16 games in MLS.
The Timbers are the only team in MLS with four players with five or more goals (Jaroslaw Niezgoda, Felipe Mora, Jeremy Ebobisse, Diego Valeri) and the only team in MLS with three players with seven or more goals (Mora, Ebobisse, Valeri).
Niezgoda notched his first career brace for the Timbers. He is the fourth different player to register a brace for Portland this season and the 19th in the club's MLS era.
Niezgoda's brace marked the third brace by a Timbers player in their last two matches after Ebobisse and Mora each recorded a brace against the LA Galaxy on Oct. 7.
Niezgoda has scored five goals this season.
Mora scored his seventh goal of the season, which is tied for the team lead with Ebobisse and Valeri.
Mora has scored in three consecutive games twice this season, joining Gyasi Zardes as the only MLS players with multiple three-game scoring streaks in 2020.
Diego Chara delivered his fifth and sixth assists of the season, setting a career high for Chara in his 10 seasons with the club. His six assists lead the team in 2020.
Diego Chara now has 25 assists for the Timbers, which is the eighth-most assists in Portland's all-eras history.
Ebobisse made his 73rd consecutive appearance across all competitions for the Timbers, establishing a new club record for consecutive appearances.
Eryk Williamson delivered his fifth assist of the season.
Marvin LorÃa added his second assist of 2020 and the third of his Timbers career.
Portland is unbeaten in 13 regular-season home matches against San Jose, posting a record of 10-0-3, which also includes an eight-game winning streak.
Steve Clark made seven saves in the match, which is tied for the second-most saves Clark has made in an MLS match.
Clark recorded his fourth shutout of the season and his 12th as a Timbers player. His 12 shutouts are tied for seventh-most in the club's all-eras history.
The Timbers travel for a road match against Real Salt Lake on Wednesday, Oct. 14, at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah; kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. (Pacific). The Oct. 14 match features a regional television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcast on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland Timbers (9-4-3, 30pts) vs. San Jose Earthquakes (5-7-5, 20pts)
Oct. 11, 2020 - Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 0 3 3
San Jose Earthquakes 0 0 0
POR: Niezgoda (D. Chara, Williamson), 46
POR: Niezgoda, 52
POR: Mora (D. Chara, LorÃa), 86
POR: Williamson (caution), 18
POR: Farfan (caution), 29
SJ: Beason (caution), 69
SJ: RÃos (caution), 79
POR: GK Clark, D Farfan, D Zuparic, D Tuiloma, D Villafaña, M D. Chara, M Williamson, M LorÃa (Zambrano, 88), M Valeri © (Conechny, 74), M Y. Chara (Ebobisse, 61), F Niezgoda (Mora, 61)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, D Bonilla, D Duvall, D Mabiala, M Flores
TOTAL SHOTS: 16 (Mora, Tuiloma, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 8 (Three players tied, 2); FOULS: 7 (D. Chara, 2); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 7
SJ: GK Marcinkowski, D Lima, D Alanis, D Beason, D Thompson (Salinas, 65), M Judson, M Yueill, M Espinoza, M RÃos, M Fierro, F Wondolowski ©
Substitutes Not Used: GK Vega, D Akanyirige, D Marie, M Skahan, M Calvillo, M Felipe, F Cowell, F Haji
TOTAL SHOTS: 11 (Espinoza, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 7 (Espinoza, 3); FOULS: 20 (RÃos, 5); OFFSIDES: 4; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 5
Referee: Guido Gonzales Jr
Assistant Referees: Logan Brown, Jeremy Hanson
Fourth Official: Farhad Dadkho
VAR: Joe Dickerson
Weather: Showers, 57 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 12, 2020
- MLS & CDPHE Postpone Upcoming Matches - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids Postponed - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Announces Postponement of Sounders FC's October 14 Match vs. Colorado Rapids - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Announces Schedule Update - MLS
- MLS Announces Schedule Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 12, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Inter Miami to Host Atlanta United FC Wednesday - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC Forward Danny Musovski Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Danny Musovski Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Know Your Opponent: New York City FC - Orlando City SC
- Focus on Top 4 as Lions Host NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 13-18 - Chicago Fire FC
- New York Red Bulls Announce Partnership with Atalian Global Services - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 12, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC Adds Goalkeeper CJ Cochran from OKC Energy - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Forward Franko Kovacevic on Loan - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Record 3-0 Win against San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Quakes snap three-match winning streak; face LA Galaxy on Wednesday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Falls 2-1 at Sporting Kansas City Down a Man - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Defender Claudio Bravo and Midfielder Yimmi Chara Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 27
- Timbers Take Down Real Salt Lake 6-1
- Liam Ridgewell Returns to Portland to Join Timbers Broadcast Team
- Timbers Defender Larrys Mabiala Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 26
- Timbers Down LAFC 2-1 at Providence Park