Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 13-18
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC will continue regular season action with two matches in four days this week. On Wednesday, Oct. 14, the Fire will travel to face Minnesota United FC at 7:00 p.m. CT at Allianz Field (WGN-TV, ESPN+, TUDN 1200AM). The pregame show, presented by CIBC, will begin on ESPN+ at 6:45 p.m. CT.
Following the midweek match, the Fire will return to Soldier Field to face Sporting Kansas City for the second time in as many weeks on Saturday, Oct. 17. The match will begin at 2:30 p.m. CT and will be nationally televised on Univision, TUDN, @TUDNUSA (Twitter Live Stream) and transmitted locally in Spanish on TUDN 1200AM.
The Fire (5-8-4, 19 points) enter the week unbeaten in four of its last five matches (3-1-1), securing 10 points during that stretch. In its most recent match on Sunday, Chicago earned all three points in a gritty 2-1 victory over D.C. United at home after receiving goals from forward CJ Sapong and defender Boris SekuliÄ.
With the win, the Fire moved into a playoff position in the Eastern Conference (9th place, 19 points), leapfrogging Atlanta United FC (10th place, 18 points) and Nashville SC (11th place, 18 points). Additionally, the win marked the third straight home victory for the Fire and made it four games unbeaten at home. Chicago is now 4-1-1 since returning to the lakefront at historic Soldier Field.
Wednesday's match marks the first meeting between Chicago and Minnesota this season. The Fire have produced a 1-2-0 all-time regular season record against Minnesota. In the only meeting between the two teams last season, Chicago defeated Minnesota United 2-0 at SeatGeek Stadium on May 11, 2019. Minnesota United (6-5-5, 23 points) currently sit in fifth place in the Western Conference and are unbeaten in its last three matches (1-0-2), producing three straight shutouts. Midfielder Kevin Molino leads the team in scoring with seven goals in 2020.
The game on Saturday will mark the second matchup between the Fire and Sporting Kansas City in 2020. The two teams previously met at Children's Mercy Park on Oct. 7, with the Fire suffering a 1-0 defeat to the Western Conference side. Overall, the Fire lead the all-time head-to-head regular season series with a 26-18-11 record. Additionally, the Fire have won more home games against Sporting Kansas City than any other Club in MLS, producing an 18-5-2 record since 1998.
Sporting KC (9-5-2, 29 points) have won three straight games in league play, including its 1-0 win over the Fire on Oct. 7. Prior to facing Chicago, Sporting KC will travel to face FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium on Wednesday. Johnny Russell leads the team in scoring with six goals in 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 12, 2020
- MLS & CDPHE Postpone Upcoming Matches - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids Postponed - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Announces Postponement of Sounders FC's October 14 Match vs. Colorado Rapids - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Announces Schedule Update - MLS
- MLS Announces Schedule Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 12, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Inter Miami to Host Atlanta United FC Wednesday - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC Forward Danny Musovski Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Danny Musovski Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Know Your Opponent: New York City FC - Orlando City SC
- Focus on Top 4 as Lions Host NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 13-18 - Chicago Fire
- New York Red Bulls Announce Partnership with Atalian Global Services - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 12, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC Adds Goalkeeper CJ Cochran from OKC Energy - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Forward Franko Kovacevic on Loan - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Record 3-0 Win against San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Quakes snap three-match winning streak; face LA Galaxy on Wednesday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Falls 2-1 at Sporting Kansas City Down a Man - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 17-Year-Old Colombian Forward Jhon Jader Duran
- Chicago Fire FC to Develop New Visual Identity, Including New Primary Crest
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team
- Chicago Fire FC Sign Mauricio Pineda to Multi-Year Contract Extension
- Chicago Fire FC Trades Midfielder Brandt Bronico to Charlotte FC