FC Cincinnati Acquire Forward Franko Kovacevic on Loan
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati have acquired forward Franko KovaÄeviÄ (pronounced koh-VAH-chuh-vitch) on loan from TSG Hoffenheim through June 30, 2021. FCC will have the option to exercise an extension of the loan through the 2021 MLS season.
KovaÄeviÄ, 21, will occupy an international roster slot and be added to FC Cincinnati's 2020 roster upon the receipt of his International Transfer Certificate, P1 Visa and completion of any mandatory quarantine period under local government and MLS health and safety protocol.
The forward has made three appearances, including one start, scoring one goal in the Regionalliga Südwest with TSG Hoffenheim II this season.
"We are glad to be able to utilize our partnership with Hoffenheim in such a short period of time after the two clubs have partnered," General Manager Gerard Nijkamp said. "Franko is a player that will provide competition for our forward position group. We look forward to getting him integrated within our team so that he is familiar with the organization, club philosophy and city prior to the start of the 2021 season."
KovaÄeviÄ has made 48 career appearances, including 23 starts, scoring seven goals and adding one assist in four professional seasons in Croatia and Germany. He joins FC Cincinnati after playing for HNK Hajduk Split (2017-19), NK RudeÅ¡ (2019) and TSG Hoffenheim II (2019-20).
The forward made his professional debut for Croatian side Hajduk Split in a UEFA Europa League fourth-round match against Premier League team Everton on Aug. 24, 2017. He went on to make a combined 24 appearances, including eight starts, for Hajduk Split and Hajduk Split II from 2017-19. He scored his first professional goal with Hajduk Split II at NK Varazdin on Sept. 15, 2018.
KovaÄeviÄ spent the second half of the 2018-19 season on loan with top-tier Croatian side NK RudeÅ¡. He made 13 appearances, including 10 starts.
Shortly after having his purchase option exercised by RudeÅ¡, KovaÄeviÄ was acquired by TSG Hoffenheim prior to the start of the 2019-20 season. In two partial seasons, KovaÄeviÄ has made 11 appearances, including six starts, scoring six goals and adding an assist with TSG Hoffenheim II.
FC Cincinnati will return to the pitch on Wednesday, Oct. 14 when they will play Columbus Crew SC at Nippert Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. ET, and the game will be televised on WSTR 64, carried on the radio on WDJO (99.5 FM, 107.9 FM and 1480 AM), streamed regionally on fccincinnati.com/stream, out of market on ESPN+, while an audio stream will be available at TuneIn (WDJO) and fccincinnati.com.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. Additionally, fans are encouraged to download the team's official mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play for instant access to mobile tickets, team content and match notifications.
Information about seating options at the club's state-of-the-art West End Stadium - which will open in Spring 2021 - is now available at westendstadium.com. The priority deadline for premium seating deposits has passed, and deposits for traditional reserved seating will open later this month. For more information about 2021 season memberships, visit westendstadium.com or the stadium's social properties on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram at @WestEndStadium, or by calling the team's sales and service staff at 513-977-5425.
TRANSACTION: FC Cincinnati acquired forward Franko KovaÄeviÄ on loan from TSG Hoffenheim on Oct. 12, 2020.
Birthdate: August 8, 1999
Birthplace: Koprivnica, Croatia
Hometown: KriÅ¾evci, Croatia
Last Club: TSG Hoffenheim (GER)
MLS Roster Status: International
How Acquired: On loan from TSG Hoffenheim on Oct. 12, 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 12, 2020
- MLS & CDPHE Postpone Upcoming Matches - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids Postponed - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Announces Postponement of Sounders FC's October 14 Match vs. Colorado Rapids - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Announces Schedule Update - MLS
- MLS Announces Schedule Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 12, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Inter Miami to Host Atlanta United FC Wednesday - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC Forward Danny Musovski Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Danny Musovski Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Know Your Opponent: New York City FC - Orlando City SC
- Focus on Top 4 as Lions Host NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 13-18 - Chicago Fire
- New York Red Bulls Announce Partnership with Atalian Global Services - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 12, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC Adds Goalkeeper CJ Cochran from OKC Energy - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Forward Franko Kovacevic on Loan - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Record 3-0 Win against San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Quakes snap three-match winning streak; face LA Galaxy on Wednesday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Falls 2-1 at Sporting Kansas City Down a Man - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Acquire International Roster Spot from Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Free Agent Goalkeeper Cody Cropper
- FC Cincinnati Sign Winger Ben Mines
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Costa Rica International Defender Ronald Matarrita from New York City FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire $75,000 in General Allocation Money from Atlanta United FC