Inter Miami to Host Atlanta United FC Wednesday
Inter Miami CF (5-10-2, 17 points) aims to continue its positive momentum after recording consecutive victories for the first time when the team takes on Atlanta United FC (5-9-3, 18 points) this Wednesday, Oct. 14, at 8 p.m ET at Inter Miami CF Stadium.
Regional fans will be able to watch the game live on MyTV33, the free Inter Miami App, and the Univision 23 App, as well as listen on Spanish radio via Univision Miami's WQBA 1140 AM and the Uforia App. Fans worldwide can also tune in to live commentary on the Club's App. Download and Register your Profile here: https://www.intermiamicf.com/en/club/app.
Inter Miami is coming off of a big week in which the team recorded consecutive victories for the first time, and will seek to continue its positive run of results with a third win in a row on Wednesday. In the team's last match, the Club overcame the Houston Dynamo 1-0 at home with a goal from the penalty spot scored by Lewis Morgan. It was the Scottish winger's fifth goal of the campaign and third in the last three matches, who remains the team's top scorer with five goals so far this season and is tied with Rodolfo Pizarro as the team's top provider with five assists. Additionally, the match also saw two members of Inter Miami's inaugural roster reach important milestones in their careers: midfielder Wil Trapp recorded his 200th MLS regular season by playing the full 90 minutes and clocking in a strong performance, while goalkeeper John McCarthy registered his first clean sheet in just his second appearance for the team.
Wednesday's match will be the fourth of the regular season between Inter Miami and Atlanta United. Inter Miami will look to extend its positive record against the Georgia-based side, having recorded a win and a draw on the road and a win at home in the first three clashes between the teams. In the last meeting between the sides on Sept. 19, Inter Miami recorded its first away win by defeating Atlanta at Mercedes-Benz Stadium with goals from attacker Juan Agudelo and versatile player Brek Shea.
Inter Miami's latest addition, MLS veteran attacking midfielder Federico HiguaÃn, the older brother of Club striker Gonzalo HiguaÃn, is available to make his debut for the team against Atlanta United. The 35-year-old Argentine featured for Columbus Crew SC for eight seasons after joining in July 2012. HiguaÃn was named the MLS Newcomer of the Year in 2012, led the Crew SC to the MLS Cup Final in 2015, and became only the 19th player in MLS history to register at least 50 goals and 50 assists in MLS. He then joined D.C. United ahead of the 2020 season, making 10 appearances and scoring twice. Overall, HiguaÃn has registered 57 goals and 63 assists in 203 MLS regular season appearances, in addition to four goals and five assists in 14 playoff matches. Before arriving in MLS, he acquired experience with a host of teams in his native Argentina, including coming through the ranks of the prestigious River Plate Academy, and having stints in Turkey with BeÅiktaÅ JK and in Mexico with Club América.
The fixture could also present a series of reunions for members of both sides. Inter Miami players Mikey Ambrose, Leandro GonzÃ¡lez Pirez and Shea, all former Atlanta United players, are available to face their former club. The trio played together for the Five Stripes in 2019, Shea's only season with the club, while Ambrose and LGP played for the team from 2017 to 2019. Together they helped Atlanta lift the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
LGP also helped launch Atlanta's expansion campaign in 2017 and guided the team to the 2018 MLS Cup and 2019 Campeones Cup titles, while earning individual recognitions as a 2019 MLS All-Star and two-time MLS Defender of the Year nominee. Shea, meanwhile, joined the team in 2019. The versatile defender / midfielder made 19 appearances for the team, starting in 10 of those. Ambrose appeared in 20 regular season and two playoff matches in his three seasons with Atlanta.
Additionally, the matchup could also feature a head to head between Inter Miami's Argentine defender NicolÃ¡s Figal and his fellow countryman and former teammate Ezequiel Barco. The pair were teammates at Argentine top-flight team Club Atlético Independiente from 2016 to 2018, making 24 appearances for the team across all competitions.
Atlanta United will come into the midweek matchup at Inter Miami CF Stadium after a 0-1 defeat at home against the New York Red Bulls in their last game. Atlanta currently sits tenth in the Eastern Conference table just one point above Inter Miami, having put together a record of five wins, three draws and nine losses to date this season. The team has been led by midfielder Barco, who has two goals and three assists so far this season, and forward Jon Gallagher, who has tallied three goals.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 12, 2020
- MLS & CDPHE Postpone Upcoming Matches - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids Postponed - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Announces Postponement of Sounders FC's October 14 Match vs. Colorado Rapids - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Announces Schedule Update - MLS
- MLS Announces Schedule Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 12, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Inter Miami to Host Atlanta United FC Wednesday - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC Forward Danny Musovski Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Danny Musovski Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Know Your Opponent: New York City FC - Orlando City SC
- Focus on Top 4 as Lions Host NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 13-18 - Chicago Fire
- New York Red Bulls Announce Partnership with Atalian Global Services - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 12, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC Adds Goalkeeper CJ Cochran from OKC Energy - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Forward Franko Kovacevic on Loan - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Record 3-0 Win against San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Quakes snap three-match winning streak; face LA Galaxy on Wednesday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Falls 2-1 at Sporting Kansas City Down a Man - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF Announces Roster Decisions Following Inaugural Season
- Inter Miami CF Stadium to Host U.S. Men's National Team vs. El Salvador on December 9
- Kicking off Year Two with Inter Miami CF Academy Presented by Baptist Health
- Alonso and DeLaGarza Thank Fans for Support Throughout Inaugural Season
- Inter Miami CF Closes Inaugural Season with Road Playoff Loss