Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 12, 2020
The San Jose Earthquakes fell to the Portland Timbers 3-0 on Sunday night at Providence Park, after defeating Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3-0 on Wednesday evening at Earthquakes Stadium. Despite seeing their three-match winning streak snapped over the weekend, San Jose (5-7-5) remains above the playoff line in seventh place in the Western Conference.
The Earthquakes will now travel to face the rival LA Galaxy on Wednesday, Oct. 14, presented by Sutter Health, before hosting the reigning MLS Cup champions Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday, Oct. 18, presented by the City of San Jose. Both matches will kick off at 7:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast live on NBC Sports California, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
Midfielder Cristian Espinoza has a team-high seven assists, tied for fourth most in MLS. His 20 assists since the start of the 2019 season also rank tied for fourth in MLS.
Wondolowski has scored 24 goals in his career during the month of October. No other player in MLS history has more than 14 career goals during the month.
LAST GAME VS. VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC (10/7)
The Quakes now hold a 4-0-0 record in their last four meetings with Whitecaps FC, scoring at least three goals in each of them.
The Next Generation
San Jose set a club record with five Homegrown Players appearing in a match for the first time (Cowell, Fuentes, Lima, Marcinkowski, Thompson). The Quakes also had each of their last four first-round SuperDraft picks appear in the match (Beason, Haji, Marie, Yueill).
The First of Many
Homegrown goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski earned his first shutout of the season and second of his MLS career. It also marked the first shutout victory of his career.
Finding the Net
Defender Paul Marie, midfielder Cristian Espinoza and forward Andy Rios scored their first, second, and fourth goals of the season, respectively. Espinoza's goal marked his second game-winning goal of the season and second of his MLS career.
LAST GAME VS. PORTLAND TIMBERS (10/11)
Back in Action
Quakes defender Oswaldo Alanis started and played 90 minutes. It marked his first appearance since suffering an injury on Sept. 16, also against Portland, that caused him to miss four matches.
NEXT GAME VS. LA GALAXY (10/14)
The Earthquakes (5-7-5, 20 pts.) and LA Galaxy (4-6-3, 15 pts.) are facing off for the fourth time this season, with the two teams sharing an identical 1-1-1 record in their three previous encounters. Wednesday's match will mark the first time since 2005 that the two California rivals face off for the fourth time in a single regular season.
San Jose holds a 5-2-2 record against the Galaxy in their last nine meetings, including a recent 2-1 home win on Oct. 3.
Almeyda vs. Schelotto
San Jose's head coach Matias Almeyda holds a 3-1-1 record over the LA Galaxy's Guillermo Barros Schelotto in their five meetings in MLS.
Quakes forward Chris Wondolowski has 12 goals in his career vs. the LA Galaxy, tied for third most against the club in MLS history. He has the most goals against LA among all players with fewer than 30 appearances against them.
NEXT GAME VS. SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC (10/18)
Record vs. Seattle Sounders FC
The Quakes currently hold a 10-11-7 record vs. Seattle Sounders FC in 28 MLS matches between the two sides.
Quakes forward Chris Wondolowski has scored 12 goals all-time against Seattle, most in MLS history. Only one other active MLS player has more than five goals against Sounders FC (Fanendo Adi - 8).
Defend our Home
The Earthquakes hold a 2-1-0 record in their last three home matches, most recently defeating Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3-0 on Oct. 7.
RENO 1868 FC UPDATE
Reno 1868 FC defeated LA Galaxy II 4-1 on Saturday night at Greater Nevada Field, winning their first home playoff game in club history. The win was also the highest scoring playoff game in Reno history.
Both teams would score early in the first half before Reno would regain the lead at the 35th minute through Corey Hertzog. Christiano François was credited with the assist.
The goal made Hertzog Reno's all-time leading playoff scorer with two goals and moved François's season assist total to eight. The total is the third most in a single season in club history, and eighth most for a career.
Forward Foster Langsdorf would score in the 53rd minute, before Hertzog added another through a penalty kick.
Reno 1868 FC will now host Phoenix Rising FC in the USL Western Conference Semifinals on Saturday, Oct. 17. The match kicks off at 6:00 p.m. PT from Greater Nevada Field and will be broadcast nationally on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 12, 2020
- MLS & CDPHE Postpone Upcoming Matches - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids Postponed - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Announces Postponement of Sounders FC's October 14 Match vs. Colorado Rapids - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Announces Schedule Update - MLS
- MLS Announces Schedule Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 12, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Inter Miami to Host Atlanta United FC Wednesday - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC Forward Danny Musovski Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Danny Musovski Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Know Your Opponent: New York City FC - Orlando City SC
- Focus on Top 4 as Lions Host NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 13-18 - Chicago Fire
- New York Red Bulls Announce Partnership with Atalian Global Services - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 12, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC Adds Goalkeeper CJ Cochran from OKC Energy - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Forward Franko Kovacevic on Loan - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Record 3-0 Win against San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Quakes snap three-match winning streak; face LA Galaxy on Wednesday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Falls 2-1 at Sporting Kansas City Down a Man - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 11, 2021
- Three Earthquakes Players Called to U.S. U-23 National Team
- Earthquakes Sign Chris Wondolowski to New Contract
- MLS SuperDraft 2021 to Take Place on January 21
- Earthquakes Announce Ben Remez as Club's Official eMLS Competitor