FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 12, 2020
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati are set to play two matches for a second consecutive week. FCC will open the week with a mid-week match against Columbus Crew SC on Wednesday, Oct. 14. The Orange and Blue will also host D.C. United on Sunday, Oct. 18. Both matches will be played at Nippert Stadium.
FC Cincinnati (3-10-4, 13 pts.) enter the week following a 1-0 defeat to Toronto FC at Nippert Stadium last night. Alvaro Barreal and Saad Abdul-Salaam made their first FCC starts at Nippert Stadium, while Kamohelo Mokotjo made his Nippert Stadium debut as a second-half substitute.
Columbus Crew SC (9-3-4, 31 pts.) open the week having last played against the Montreal Impact on Wednesday, Oct. 7. Crew SC's match against Orlando City SC originally scheduled for last night was postponed following two confirmed cases of COVID-19 among the Columbus Crew SC staff.
D.C. United (2-10-5, 11 pts.) enter the week following a 2-1 loss to Chicago Fire FC at Soldier Field last night. Chicago's C.J. Sapong and Boris Sekulic registered the goals for Fire FC in the match.
FCC add KovaÄeviÄ on loan from TSG Hoffenheim
FC Cincinnati announced the acquisition of forward Franko KovaÄeviÄ on loan from TSG Hoffenheim through June 30, 2021 on Monday, Oct. 12 ... FCC will have the option to exercise an extension of the loan through the 2021 MLS season ... KovaÄeviÄ has made 48 career appearances, including 23 starts, scoring seven goals and adding one assist in four professional seasons in Croatia and Germany ... he joins FC Cincinnati after playing for HNK Hajduk Split (2017-19), NK RudeÅ¡ (2019) and TSG Hoffenheim II (2019-20).
Medunjanin becomes fifth player to wear the armband
In Kendall Waston's absence, midfielder Haris Medunjanin wore the captain's armband against Toronto FC on Oct. 11 ... it marked the first time someone other than Waston wore the captain's armband for the Orange and Blue this season ... Medunjanin became the fifth player in FCC's MLS history to start a match as captain, joining Waston (40), Nick Hagglund (4), Justin Hoyte (4) and Greg Garza (2).
Waston misses first match of 2020
Following 16 consecutive starts at center back, Kendall Waston missed a match for the first time this season as he was not in the matchday roster for FCC's match against Toronto FC on Oct. 11 ... Waston was the only player to start each of FC Cincinnati's first 16 matches ... the center back picked up an injury in training one day prior to the match.
Abdul-Salaam, Barreal make first starts at Nippert
Saad Abdul-Salaam and Alvaro Barreal made their first FCC starts at Nippert Stadium against Toronto FC on Oct. 11 ... Abdul-Salaam made his first appearance since July 22 against the New York Red Bulls ... he started, played 90 minutes and completed 41-of-44 passes for a passing accuracy of 93.2% in the match ... Barreal played 64 minutes against Toronto ... the winger made his FCC and MLS debut in a second-half substitute appearance at Philadelphia on Oct. 7
FC Cincinnati will return to the pitch on Wednesday, Oct. 14 when they will play Columbus Crew SC at Nippert Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. ET, and the game will be televised on WSTR 64, carried on the radio on WDJO (99.5 FM, 107.9 FM and 1480 AM), streamed regionally on fccincinnati.com/stream, out of market on ESPN+, while an audio stream will be available at TuneIn (WDJO) and fccincinnati.com.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. Additionally, fans are encouraged to download the team's official mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play for instant access to mobile tickets, team content and match notifications.
Information about seating options at the club's state-of-the-art West End Stadium - which will open in Spring 2021 - is now available at westendstadium.com. Season ticket deposits are now being accepted for traditional reserved seating and The Bailey. For more information about 2021 season memberships, visit westendstadium.com or the stadium's social properties on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram at @WestEndStadium, or by calling the team's sales and service staff at 513-977-5425.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 12, 2020
- MLS & CDPHE Postpone Upcoming Matches - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids Postponed - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Announces Postponement of Sounders FC's October 14 Match vs. Colorado Rapids - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Announces Schedule Update - MLS
- MLS Announces Schedule Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 12, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Inter Miami to Host Atlanta United FC Wednesday - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC Forward Danny Musovski Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Danny Musovski Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Know Your Opponent: New York City FC - Orlando City SC
- Focus on Top 4 as Lions Host NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 13-18 - Chicago Fire
- New York Red Bulls Announce Partnership with Atalian Global Services - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 12, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC Adds Goalkeeper CJ Cochran from OKC Energy - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Forward Franko Kovacevic on Loan - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Record 3-0 Win against San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Quakes snap three-match winning streak; face LA Galaxy on Wednesday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Falls 2-1 at Sporting Kansas City Down a Man - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Re-Sign Four Players
- Frankie Amaya called up to U.S. Men's National Team
- FC Cincinnati Announce Roster Decisions for the 2021 Season
- Gyau scores first FCC goal as Orange and Blue conclude 2020 MLS season
- Two FC Cincinnati Players Called up to Respective National Teams