Timbers Complete Transfer of Chilean International Forward Felipe Mora from Pumas UNAM
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers announced today that the club has completed the transfer of Chilean international forward Felipe Mora from Liga MX club Pumas UNAM, signing the forward to a new contract utilizing Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). Mora was originally acquired by the Timbers on loan from Pumas on Jan. 31, 2020.
Mora, 27, tallied seven goals and two assists in 1,204 minutes played across 19 appearances (13 starts) for the Timbers in MLS regular-season play last season. Across all competitions for the Timbers in 2020, Mora made 24 appearances (14 starts) and registered seven goals and two assists.
"Having Felipe on loan in 2020 provided an invaluable extended scouting opportunity and reinforced the fact that he is a high quality player with tremendous values who will continue to help the Timbers win," said Timbers GM and president of soccer Gavin Wilkinson. "Felipe pushed for the chance to stay in Portland, which made it possible to acquire him at a favorable transfer fee. We are fortunate and excited to add a proven player in Felipe to an already tremendous group of attacking players."
The Santiago, Chile, native originally joined the Timbers after playing two seasons at Pumas UNAM (2018-20) where he tallied 19 goals in 65 appearances (50 starts). Prior to joining Pumas, Mora played one season for Liga MX side Cruz Azul (2017-18), where he scored 14 goals in 40 games played (31 starts) across all competitions. Mora had his most prolific stint with Chilean Primera DivisiÃ³n side Universidad de Chile (2016-17), tallying 20 goals in 30 games played (20 starts) across all competitions. Notably, Mora finished the 2017 Clausura campaign as the league's leading goal scorer (13) and helped Universidad claim the 2017 Primera DivisiÃ³n Clausura title.
"We are thrilled to bring back Felipe long term as he is an accomplished international striker in the prime of his career," said Timbers head coach Giovanni Savarese. "Felipe acclimated seamlessly into the group last year, and we can't wait for him to continue being a key contributor for the Timbers."
Mora began his professional career with Chilean Primera DivisiÃ³n side Audax Italiano (2011-16), where he made 137 appearances (97 starts) and recorded 44 goals across all competitions.
At the international level, Mora has made seven appearances for the Chile Men's National Team, tallying one goal since making his debut against Romania on May 31, 2018. Mora most recently started for Chile against Venezuela in FIFA World Cup qualifying on Nov. 17, 2020.
Transaction: Portland Timbers complete transfer of forward Felipe Mora from Liga MX side Pumas UNAM on Jan. 19, 2021.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 19, 2021
- New York Red Bulls Trade Tim Parker to Houston Dynamo FC - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Defender Tim Parker from New York Red Bulls - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Added to U-23 USMNT January Camp Roster - LA Galaxy
- U.S Men's National Team to Open 2021 against Trinidad & Tobago on January 31 at Exploria Stadium - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Set for 2021 MLS SuperDraft on Thursday - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Signs Machop Chol as Homegrown Player - Atlanta United FC
- 91.9 Sports Becomes the New French Radio Broadcaster for CF Montreal - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Adam Saldana - LA Galaxy
- New England Revolution Re-Sign Goalkeeper Matt Turner - New England Revolution
- MLS Adds Ethan Bartlow, Bret Halsey as Generation adidas Signings - MLS
- Nashville SC Acquires 2021 and 2022 SuperDraft Selections from Philadelphia Union - Nashville SC
- Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $225,000 in General Allocation Money from Nashville SC - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Complete Transfer of Chilean International Forward Felipe Mora from Pumas UNAM - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Hires Paul McDonough as Vice President of Soccer Operations - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls Sign Colombian Youth International Center Back Andres Reyes - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Teams up with Epic Games to Bring Soccer to Fortnite - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Add MartÃÂn Vasquez to Coaching Staff - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United Teams up with Epic Games to Bring Soccer to Fortnite - Atlanta United FC
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- NWSL Announces 2021 Allocated Players List
- Timbers Unveil 2021 Primary Jersey
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Multi-Year Partnership with TikTok
- Timbers Kick off 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 Play on April 6
- Marvin Loria Called up by Costa Rica for Pre-Olympic CONCACAF Qualifying Camp