New York Red Bulls Sign Colombian Youth International Center Back Andres Reyes
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have completed the transfer of Colombian Under-23 center back Andrés Reyes from Atletico Nacional, pending receipt of his P-1 Visa and ITC, the club announced today. Reyes has signed a new MLS contract and will occupy an international spot on the Red Bulls roster. Terms of the transfer and contract were not disclosed.
"We're pleased to welcome Andrés to our team," said Head of Sport Kevin Thelwell. "Andrés has the physical characteristics we like in our centerbacks, and a sharp mind for the game. He has experience in our league and the ability to contribute to team success while still growing into his full potential."
Reyes, 21, spent 2020 at Inter Miami CF on loan, making 13 starts during the 23-match MLS regular-season campaign. The Colombian center back logged 1,101 minutes and helped anchor Miami's backline to two of their three shutouts last year.
"I'm very happy for the agreement with Andrés, and that he chose our club," said Head Coach Gerhard Struber. "He is a big talent, and his skills make the team stronger and more stable. He is hungry for success and ready to work very hard for it."
Reyes made his senior debut in 2018 as a member of Atlético Nacional and went on to make 19 league appearances for the club. He was also a member of the 2018 Copa Colombia title-winning side and 2018 Apertura runners-up.
The center back has also represented Colombian youth teams on the international stage, making 11 appearances for the U-20 side and two appearances for the U-23 side. Reyes led the U-20s' backline in seven of their nine matches at the 2019 U-20 South American Championship, helping the Cafeteros qualify for the 2019 U-20 World Cup by only conceding three goals. Reyes went on to appear in four of the team's five 2019 U-20 World Cup matches.
Most recently, Reyes was a member of the Colombia U-23 team that reached the semifinals of the CONMEBOL Pre-Olympic tournament in January and February 2020. He also appeared in two international friendlies for the team, playing in matches against Argentina in September 2019 and Japan in November 2019.
Transaction: The New York Red Bulls sign Andrés Reyes to an MLS contract pending receipt of his P-1 Visa and ITC on January 19, 2021.
Date of Birth: September 8, 1999
Place of Birth: Puerto Tejada, Colombia
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 19, 2021
- New York Red Bulls Trade Tim Parker to Houston Dynamo FC - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Defender Tim Parker from New York Red Bulls - Houston Dynamo FC
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Added to U-23 USMNT January Camp Roster - LA Galaxy
- U.S Men's National Team to Open 2021 against Trinidad & Tobago on January 31 at Exploria Stadium - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Set for 2021 MLS SuperDraft on Thursday - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Signs Machop Chol as Homegrown Player - Atlanta United FC
- 91.9 Sports Becomes the New French Radio Broadcaster for CF Montreal - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Adam Saldana - LA Galaxy
- New England Revolution Re-Sign Goalkeeper Matt Turner - New England Revolution
- MLS Adds Ethan Bartlow, Bret Halsey as Generation adidas Signings - MLS
- Nashville SC Acquires 2021 and 2022 SuperDraft Selections from Philadelphia Union - Nashville SC
- Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $225,000 in General Allocation Money from Nashville SC - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Complete Transfer of Chilean International Forward Felipe Mora from Pumas UNAM - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Hires Paul McDonough as Vice President of Soccer Operations - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls Sign Colombian Youth International Center Back Andres Reyes - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Teams up with Epic Games to Bring Soccer to Fortnite - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Add MartÃÂn Vasquez to Coaching Staff - Houston Dynamo FC
- Atlanta United Teams up with Epic Games to Bring Soccer to Fortnite - Atlanta United FC
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Welcomes New England Revolution to Red Bull Arena on Saturday
- New York Red Bulls-Inter Miami CF Match Rescheduled to October 9
- New York Suffers 1-0 Defeat to D.C. United on Sunday Night
- New York Battles D.C. United in First Round for Atlantic Cup on Sunday
- New York and Toronto Draw 1-1 at BMO Field on Wednesday Night