Inter Miami CF Set for 2021 MLS SuperDraft on Thursday
Inter Miami CF is set to participate in the 2021 Major League Soccer (MLS) SuperDraft presented by adidas this Thursday, Jan. 21 at 2 p.m. ET.
Here's everything you need to know ahead of it:
What's the MLS SuperDraft? How does it work?
The MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas is the player acquisition mechanism in which MLS teams select the top collegiate players.
The 2021 edition will consist of three rounds of player selection. Clubs will make their selections in reverse order of the 2020 regular season standings, taking into account postseason performance in the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs.
Who is eligible for selection?
Players eligible for selection include college seniors, Generation adidas players, and players that have waived their college eligibility by signing to play in a domestic professional league. The list of players eligible for selection is available at https://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2021/prospects.
Which picks does Inter Miami have?
Inter Miami CF holds the following picks:
First Round: 10th (10th overall) and 26th pick (26th overall - acquired from the Seattle Sounders FC on Sept. 28)
Second Round: 10th pick (37th overall)
Third Round: 27th pick (81st overall - acquired from the Columbus Crew SC on Aug. 14)
*This season, any club that received a fourth-round pick via trade will have a compensatory pick at the conclusion of the third round. Inter Miami has the 31st pick in the fourth round (85th overall - acquired from the New England Revolution on Sept. 8)
How can I watch?
The first round of the virtual player selection event will stream live on MLSsoccer.com, the MLS App, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Every pick can be followed as they happen with MLSsoccer.com's MLS SuperDraft tracker.
What happens after the SuperDraft?
Following the MLS SuperDraft, Generation adidas players and select additional draftees will join their MLS clubs for the 2021 preseason, while others may continue to compete for their colleges before reporting to their MLS clubs in late May.
Which players have come from the MLS SuperDraft?
Many successful MLS careers have been born through the SuperDraft since its inception in 2000. Former MLS and USMNT standouts such as Clint Dempsey, Carlos Bocanegra and Nick Rimando, as well as current players like Leeds United's Jack Harrison, and USMNT's Jozy Altidore, Darlington Nagbe and Walker Zimmerman began their careers as SuperDraft picks.
Last year, Inter Miami selected forward Robbie Robinson with the first overall pick and defender Dylan Nealis with the third overall pick in its first participation in the MLS SuperDraft. Robinson registered 14 appearances in the 2020 season, four of them starts, recording one assist, while Nealis made 20 appearances, 11 of them starts, including featuring in the Club's first MLS Cup playoffs appearance.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 19, 2021
- New York Red Bulls Trade Tim Parker to Houston Dynamo FC - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Defender Tim Parker from New York Red Bulls - Houston Dynamo FC
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Added to U-23 USMNT January Camp Roster - LA Galaxy
- U.S Men's National Team to Open 2021 against Trinidad & Tobago on January 31 at Exploria Stadium - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Set for 2021 MLS SuperDraft on Thursday - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Signs Machop Chol as Homegrown Player - Atlanta United FC
- 91.9 Sports Becomes the New French Radio Broadcaster for CF Montreal - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Adam Saldana - LA Galaxy
- New England Revolution Re-Sign Goalkeeper Matt Turner - New England Revolution
- MLS Adds Ethan Bartlow, Bret Halsey as Generation adidas Signings - MLS
- Nashville SC Acquires 2021 and 2022 SuperDraft Selections from Philadelphia Union - Nashville SC
- Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $225,000 in General Allocation Money from Nashville SC - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Complete Transfer of Chilean International Forward Felipe Mora from Pumas UNAM - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Hires Paul McDonough as Vice President of Soccer Operations - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls Sign Colombian Youth International Center Back Andres Reyes - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Teams up with Epic Games to Bring Soccer to Fortnite - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Add MartÃÂn Vasquez to Coaching Staff - Houston Dynamo FC
- Atlanta United Teams up with Epic Games to Bring Soccer to Fortnite - Atlanta United FC
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF Falls 0-4 to New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Announces Mas Brothers, Beckham Increase Ownership Stake in the Club
- Inter Miami CF to Host the New York Red Bulls on FridayÃÂ
- Inter Miami CF Announces Kick Childhood Cancer Initiatives
- Christian Makoun Named to MLS Week 25 Team of the Week