Atlanta United Hires Paul McDonough as Vice President of Soccer Operations
ATLANTA - Atlanta United today announced Paul McDonough is re-joining the club's front office as Vice President of Soccer Operations, effective Feb. 1. McDonough served in the same capacity with the club from 2016-18 before leaving to lead then-expansion Inter Miami FC as Sporting Director. McDonough brings more than 20 years of experience, including the last seven within MLS.
"Paul was a key part of our team as we built Atlanta United and we're delighted to have him back in the organization," Atlanta United President Darren Eales said. "Thanks to his experience across all levels of American soccer, Paul brings a vast knowledge of the game, but more importantly he is a great cultural fit who complements our front office. Similar to his previous role with the club, Paul will report to Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra and take on a leading role in managing our player salary cap."
McDonough will continue to be responsible for navigating Major League Soccer's salary cap restrictions, while helping Eales and Bocanegra recruit players through various different acquisition mechanisms. During his previous tenure, McDonough helped assemble Atlanta's inaugural roster that became one of the most prolific attacks in MLS history. In its first season, Atlanta finished tied for fifth all-time in goals scored in a single-season (70) and fourth all-time in goal differential (+30). McDonough was also a key part of the team that helped oversee the development of the Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Training Ground, including its design, construction and operations.
"A lot more goes into building a professional soccer club than simply assembling a roster," Bocanegra said. "Paul has a skillset that effectively touches all areas of the club and it complements the staff we have in place."
As Sporting Director in Miami, McDonough played a leading role in several areas, including taking on the COO role in January 2020 and managing the business operations of the club. He led the implementation and design of its state-of-the art Training Complex and re-design of its temporary home venue, Inter Miami CF Stadium and assembled the club's expansion roster, its youth Academy and USL League One team. Prior to joining Atlanta in 2016, McDonough served as Senior Vice President of Soccer Operations with Orlando City SC, helping the club transition from USL to its inaugural season in MLS. Prior to that, McDonough spent two years as Director of Global Soccer with Wasserman Media Group where he represented professional soccer players in MLS and abroad. He began his career in collegiate coaching, serving as an assistant coach at Wake Forest University, the University of South Carolina and the University of Connecticut.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 19, 2021
- New York Red Bulls Trade Tim Parker to Houston Dynamo FC - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Defender Tim Parker from New York Red Bulls - Houston Dynamo FC
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Added to U-23 USMNT January Camp Roster - LA Galaxy
- U.S Men's National Team to Open 2021 against Trinidad & Tobago on January 31 at Exploria Stadium - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Set for 2021 MLS SuperDraft on Thursday - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Signs Machop Chol as Homegrown Player - Atlanta United FC
- 91.9 Sports Becomes the New French Radio Broadcaster for CF Montreal - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Adam Saldana - LA Galaxy
- New England Revolution Re-Sign Goalkeeper Matt Turner - New England Revolution
- MLS Adds Ethan Bartlow, Bret Halsey as Generation adidas Signings - MLS
- Nashville SC Acquires 2021 and 2022 SuperDraft Selections from Philadelphia Union - Nashville SC
- Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $225,000 in General Allocation Money from Nashville SC - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Complete Transfer of Chilean International Forward Felipe Mora from Pumas UNAM - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Hires Paul McDonough as Vice President of Soccer Operations - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls Sign Colombian Youth International Center Back Andres Reyes - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Teams up with Epic Games to Bring Soccer to Fortnite - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Add MartÃÂn Vasquez to Coaching Staff - Houston Dynamo FC
- Atlanta United Teams up with Epic Games to Bring Soccer to Fortnite - Atlanta United FC
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. LD Alajuelense
- Atlanta United Signs Defender Alan Franco
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. LD Alajuelense in Leg One of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16
- Atlanta United Signs Rocco Rios Novo to Short Term Agreement
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. LD Alajuelense