Timbers Acquire Defender Michael Harrington from Sporting KC for Allocation Money
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers have acquired veteran defender Michael Harrington from Sporting Kansas City in exchange for allocation money, it was announced today. Per club and league policy, terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
Harrington, 26, has played all six seasons of his MLS career with Sporting KC, appearing in 149 matches, logging more than 11,600 minutes and recording five goals and 14 assists with the club. The No. 3 overall pick by Sporting KC in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft, Harrington ranks among the club's career leaders in regular-season games played, starts (128) and minutes (11,633) played.
"Michael is a versatile player with MLS experience who can fill a variety of roles," said Timbers General Manager Gavin Wilkinson. "He will be a great addition to the organization for the way that [head coach] Caleb Porter wants to play and is expected to fight for a starting position."
A native of Greenville, N.C., Harrington started nine of his 11 league appearances for Sporting KC in 2012, helping the club allow the fewest goals (27) in MLS last season. He played in 23 matches in 2011, contributing to Sporting KC's run to the Eastern Conference final. After a standout rookie season in 2007, Harrington was named the club's rookie of the year.
Harrington played collegiately at the University of North Carolina, where was a two-time All-ACC selection and helped the Tar Heels make four consecutive NCAA tournament appearances from 2003-06. He played in 82 games and recorded four goals and 14 assists during his collegiate career.
At the international level, Harrington was a member of U.S. youth national teams at the U-17, U-20 and U-23 levels, competing in the U-17 and U-20 FIFA World Youth Championships in 2003 and 2005, respectively. He was one of the original members of the U.S. U-17 Residency Program in Bradenton, Fla., in 1999.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 3, 2012
- LA Galaxy Make Six Players Available for Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 3, 2012 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs GK Jeff Attinella - Real Salt Lake
- Weekly Update: Rapids Players Begin Training with Derby - Colorado Rapids
- Re-Entry Process Eligible Player List Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Exercise 2013 Options on Eight Players - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Decline Options on Three Players - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Trades MF Will Johnson to Portland Timbers FC - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Atiba Harris in Trade with Vancouver Whitecaps - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Acquire International Roster Spot from Colorado Rapids for Striker Atiba Harris - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Will Johnson from Real Salt Lake for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Forward Fabian Espindola and Defender Jamison Olave - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Declines Options on Four Players - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Fabian Espindola and DF Jamison Olave to New York - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Decline Options on Palmer, Purdy - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Acquire Defender Eric Brunner from Portland Timbers in Exchange for Allocation Money - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from Houston for Defender Eric Brunner - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Trades Michael Harrington to Portland Timbers for Allocation Money - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Acquire Defender Michael Harrington from Sporting KC for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Defender Kosuke Kimura from Portland Timbers - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Acquire Allocation, Homegrown Rights for Bryan Gallego from New York - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Acquires Justin Braun from Real Salt Lake - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Justin Braun to Toronto FC for DF Aaron Maund - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Announce 2013 Preseason Plans - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Signs DF Chris Wingert and DF Tony Beltran to Contract Extensions - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Declines Contract Options on Four Players - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to host championship celebration on Monday night at The Home Depot Center - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.