Dynamo Acquire Defender Eric Brunner from Portland Timbers in Exchange for Allocation Money
HOUSTON, TX (Monday, Dec. 3, 2012) -- The Houston Dynamo have acquired defender Eric Brunner from the Portland Timbers in exchange for allocation money, it was announced today. Per club and league policy, terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
"I think Eric is a good center back," said Dynamo head coach Dominic Kinnear. "He is both good in the air and with the ball at his feet. He has good pace and is also good on set pieces. He has done well in the past with Portland and Columbus. I think he is going to be an important part of the team next year, with the amount of games we're playing and tournaments we're in, and the possibility of losing players to the Gold Cup."
Brunner, 26, has appeared in 84 games in six seasons in Major League Soccer. Brunner (pronounced: "BREW-ner") made 13 appearances (10 starts) for the Timbers in 2012 and scored one goal. His season was limited due to injuries.
"I am definitely excited to join the Dynamo," said Brunner. "There is a lot of history in Houston, and it is an honor and a privilege to join a team that has made the MLS Cup the last two years. I am definitely excited to be included in that rich history."
The 6-foot-4 center back was selected in the first round of the 2008 MLS SuperDraft by the New York Red Bulls. After a season with Miami FC of the USL First Division, the Dublin, Ohio native signed with the Columbus Crew in 2009. Following two seasons in his home state, Brunner was selected by the Timbers in the 2010 MLS Expansion Draft.
"I think this is a good move for us," said Dynamo president Chris Canetti. "Eric is a good, young player with experience and versatility. Dom believes that he will be a good fit for his system and fill some needs going forward. Dom has been interested in Eric for some time and has made previous attempts to obtain him, so that is a strong statement for me."
The Dynamo are offering a new Family Season Ticket Package for 2013 at BBVA Compass Stadium. For every full price adult season ticket purchased for $400, you can purchase an additional season ticket for a child 10 years or younger for just $200, located in the friendly Texas Children's Health Plan Family Section. There are a limited number of seats allocated for this program. To purchase your Family Season Ticket Package, call 713-276-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 3, 2012
- LA Galaxy Make Six Players Available for Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 3, 2012 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs GK Jeff Attinella - Real Salt Lake
- Weekly Update: Rapids Players Begin Training with Derby - Colorado Rapids
- Re-Entry Process Eligible Player List Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Exercise 2013 Options on Eight Players - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Decline Options on Three Players - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Trades MF Will Johnson to Portland Timbers FC - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Atiba Harris in Trade with Vancouver Whitecaps - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Acquire International Roster Spot from Colorado Rapids for Striker Atiba Harris - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Will Johnson from Real Salt Lake for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Forward Fabian Espindola and Defender Jamison Olave - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Declines Options on Four Players - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Fabian Espindola and DF Jamison Olave to New York - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Decline Options on Palmer, Purdy - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Acquire Defender Eric Brunner from Portland Timbers in Exchange for Allocation Money - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from Houston for Defender Eric Brunner - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Trades Michael Harrington to Portland Timbers for Allocation Money - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Acquire Defender Michael Harrington from Sporting KC for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Defender Kosuke Kimura from Portland Timbers - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Acquire Allocation, Homegrown Rights for Bryan Gallego from New York - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Acquires Justin Braun from Real Salt Lake - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Justin Braun to Toronto FC for DF Aaron Maund - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Announce 2013 Preseason Plans - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Signs DF Chris Wingert and DF Tony Beltran to Contract Extensions - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Declines Contract Options on Four Players - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to host championship celebration on Monday night at The Home Depot Center - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.