Timbers Acquire Midfielder Will Johnson from Real Salt Lake for Allocation Money
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced that the club has acquired midfielder and Canadian international Will Johnson from Real Salt Lake in exchange for allocation money. Per club and league policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
Johnson, 25, joins the Timbers after five seasons with Real Salt Lake, where he ranks among the club's career leaders in games (114) and minutes played (9,445). The 2009 MLS All-Star scored nine goals and recorded eight assists for Real Salt Lake and was a key member of the club's MLS Cup-winning season in 2009 and its run to the 2010-11 CONCACAF Champions League final.
"Will is a proven player in MLS and has experience winning an MLS Cup championship," said Timbers general manager Gavin Wilkinson. "He will be a key piece moving forward and brings a winning mentality that we feel will be very important to our culture; he is mentally tough and his attitude is infectious. He is also extremely versatile in our system."
Johnson, who scored the MLS Goal of the Year in 2008, recorded a career-high three goals and matched a career high with three assists over 26 regular-season matches during the 2012 campaign.
"I'm very excited to be joining the Timbers and to play at JELD-WEN Field in front of some of the most fanatic fans in the league," said Johnson. "I can't wait to get to town, see everything and meet everyone. I hope that my experience winning in the league can be translated into success in Portland. My goal is to help make Portland a winning organization."
In total, Johnson has played in 120 matches (105 starts), logging 9,607 minutes and registering 10 goals and eight assists over six MLS seasons with the Chicago Fire (2005) and Real Salt Lake (2008-12). He also appeared in all 14 of Real Salt Lake's postseason appearances and all 16 of the club's CONCACAF Champions League fixtures during his time with the club.
Born in Toronto, Ontario, Johnson has 31 caps with the Canada National Team and was a staple in the country's lineup during 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying. He played in 10 games and scored two goals to help Canada reach CONCACAF's third round of qualifying. Johnson played in both the 2009 and 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cups and was a finalist for the 2011 BMO Canadian Player of the Year. He made his senior national team debut at the age of 18 on Nov. 16, 2005, and has also represented Canada at the U-19, U-20 and U-23 levels.
Additionally, Johnson played two seasons in the top flight in the Netherlands from 2006-08. After spending the 2006-07 campaign with SC Heerenveen, he was sent on loan to De Graafschap in 2007-08, where he tallied three goals in 39 matches across all competitions.
Johnson will not occupy an international slot on the Timbers roster.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 3, 2012
- LA Galaxy Make Six Players Available for Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 3, 2012 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs GK Jeff Attinella - Real Salt Lake
- Weekly Update: Rapids Players Begin Training with Derby - Colorado Rapids
- Re-Entry Process Eligible Player List Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Exercise 2013 Options on Eight Players - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Decline Options on Three Players - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Trades MF Will Johnson to Portland Timbers FC - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Atiba Harris in Trade with Vancouver Whitecaps - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Acquire International Roster Spot from Colorado Rapids for Striker Atiba Harris - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Will Johnson from Real Salt Lake for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Forward Fabian Espindola and Defender Jamison Olave - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Declines Options on Four Players - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Fabian Espindola and DF Jamison Olave to New York - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Decline Options on Palmer, Purdy - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Acquire Defender Eric Brunner from Portland Timbers in Exchange for Allocation Money - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from Houston for Defender Eric Brunner - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Trades Michael Harrington to Portland Timbers for Allocation Money - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Acquire Defender Michael Harrington from Sporting KC for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Defender Kosuke Kimura from Portland Timbers - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Acquire Allocation, Homegrown Rights for Bryan Gallego from New York - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Acquires Justin Braun from Real Salt Lake - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Justin Braun to Toronto FC for DF Aaron Maund - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Announce 2013 Preseason Plans - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Signs DF Chris Wingert and DF Tony Beltran to Contract Extensions - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Declines Contract Options on Four Players - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to host championship celebration on Monday night at The Home Depot Center - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.