Timbers Decline Options on Palmer, Purdy
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers announced today that the club has declined the contract options for midfielder/defender Lovel Palmer and defender Steve Purdy. Both Palmer and Purdy are eligible for the MLS Re-Entry Process, which begins Friday.
"We'd like to thank both Lovel and Steve for their contributions to the club over the last two seasons and wish them well in the future," said Timbers general manager Gavin Wilkinson.
Palmer, 28, played in 19 regular-season games (15 starts) for the Timbers during the 2012 campaign. The Jamaican international first joined the club July 21, 2011, in a trade with the Houston Dynamo, and appeared in 34 games, recording one assist, during his time in Portland.
Purdy, 27, logged 188 minutes in three appearances for Portland in 2012. A member of the El Salvador National Team, Purdy made 11 total appearances with the Timbers over two MLS seasons. He first joined the Timbers in 2010, when the club competed as a second-division side.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 3, 2012
- LA Galaxy Make Six Players Available for Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 3, 2012 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs GK Jeff Attinella - Real Salt Lake
- Weekly Update: Rapids Players Begin Training with Derby - Colorado Rapids
- Re-Entry Process Eligible Player List Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Exercise 2013 Options on Eight Players - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Decline Options on Three Players - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Trades MF Will Johnson to Portland Timbers FC - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Atiba Harris in Trade with Vancouver Whitecaps - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Acquire International Roster Spot from Colorado Rapids for Striker Atiba Harris - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Will Johnson from Real Salt Lake for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Forward Fabian Espindola and Defender Jamison Olave - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Declines Options on Four Players - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Fabian Espindola and DF Jamison Olave to New York - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Decline Options on Palmer, Purdy - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Acquire Defender Eric Brunner from Portland Timbers in Exchange for Allocation Money - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from Houston for Defender Eric Brunner - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Trades Michael Harrington to Portland Timbers for Allocation Money - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Acquire Defender Michael Harrington from Sporting KC for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Defender Kosuke Kimura from Portland Timbers - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Acquire Allocation, Homegrown Rights for Bryan Gallego from New York - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Acquires Justin Braun from Real Salt Lake - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Justin Braun to Toronto FC for DF Aaron Maund - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Announce 2013 Preseason Plans - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Signs DF Chris Wingert and DF Tony Beltran to Contract Extensions - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Declines Contract Options on Four Players - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to host championship celebration on Monday night at The Home Depot Center - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Battle Atlanta United FC to 1-1 Draw at Mercedes-Benz Stadium
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 21, 2018
- Timbers, Thorns FC to Visit Newberg for Seventh-Annual Rose City Road Trip Presented by Providence Health & Services
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Honored at Oregon Sports Awards
- Timbers to Face Los Angeles FC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal on July 18