Real Salt Lake Signs GK Jeff Attinella
SANDY, Utah (Monday, Dec. 3, 2012) - Real Salt Lake has signed 24-year-old GK Jeff Attinella. Per league and club policy, terms of the deal will not be disclosed.
Attinella was selected by RSL in the first round (14th overall) of the 2011 MLS Supplemental Draft. The University of South Florida product was released by the Claret-and-Cobalt prior to the 2011 season, joining the Tampa Bay Rowdies - then FC Tampa Bay - of the NASL days after leaving RSL.
Attinella had two successful seasons with the Rowdies, helping the team reach the playoffs in his first professional season in 2011 and starring in Tampa Bay's run to the NASL title in 2012. Attinella was named to the NASL Best XI in 2012, earned NASL Player of the Week honors five times and made three saves in the penalty shootout in the Rowdies' 2012 Soccer Bowl win over Minnesota Stars FC.
"Jeff's a talented young 'keeper coming off a great season in NASL," RSL GM Garth Lagerwey said. "We're excited to bring him back to the club."
Attinella's signing completes a busy day of moves for Real Salt Lake, which traded MF Will Johnson to Portland for allocation money, FW Fabian Espindola and DF Jamison Olave to New York for allocation money and FW Justin Braun to Toronto in exchange for DF Aaron Maund on Monday. RSL also declined contract options on GK Kyle Reynish, FW Paulo Jr., MF Jonny Steele and FW Emiliano Bonfigli on Monday.
RSL's current roster is attached. Players currently out of contract are not included on the attachment.
Player: Jeff Attinella
Date of Birth: Sept. 29, 1988
Birthplace: Clearwater, FL
How acquired: Signed on Dec. 3, 2012
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 3, 2012
- LA Galaxy Make Six Players Available for Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 3, 2012 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs GK Jeff Attinella - Real Salt Lake
- Weekly Update: Rapids Players Begin Training with Derby - Colorado Rapids
- Re-Entry Process Eligible Player List Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Exercise 2013 Options on Eight Players - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Decline Options on Three Players - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Trades MF Will Johnson to Portland Timbers FC - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Atiba Harris in Trade with Vancouver Whitecaps - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Acquire International Roster Spot from Colorado Rapids for Striker Atiba Harris - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Will Johnson from Real Salt Lake for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Forward Fabian Espindola and Defender Jamison Olave - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Declines Options on Four Players - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Fabian Espindola and DF Jamison Olave to New York - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Decline Options on Palmer, Purdy - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Acquire Defender Eric Brunner from Portland Timbers in Exchange for Allocation Money - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from Houston for Defender Eric Brunner - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Trades Michael Harrington to Portland Timbers for Allocation Money - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Acquire Defender Michael Harrington from Sporting KC for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Defender Kosuke Kimura from Portland Timbers - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Acquire Allocation, Homegrown Rights for Bryan Gallego from New York - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Acquires Justin Braun from Real Salt Lake - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Justin Braun to Toronto FC for DF Aaron Maund - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Announce 2013 Preseason Plans - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Signs DF Chris Wingert and DF Tony Beltran to Contract Extensions - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Declines Contract Options on Four Players - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to host championship celebration on Monday night at The Home Depot Center - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.