Chicago Fire Decline Options on Three Players
CHICAGO, Ill. (Dec. 3, 2012) - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced Monday that the club has declined options on midfielder Corben Bone, defender Gonzalo Segares and goalkeeper Jay Nolly.
Segares was the Fire's third round selection (35th overall) in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft. The Costa Rican international has played 178 games over eight seasons for the Men in Red, scoring 11 goals and adding 13 assists. The 2007 Chicago Fire Defender of the Year, Segares has made 13 postseason appearances for the Fire, scoring the insurance goal in the second leg of a 3-0 win over the New England Revolution Nov. 6, 2008.
Bone was the Fire's first round selection (13th overall) in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft. The Plano, Texas native made 17 appearances in three seasons with the Men in Red. Bone's lone assist in a Fire shirt came May 14, 2011 when he assisted on Orr Barouch's game-tying goal in a 2-2 draw at Toronto FC. In 2012, Bone started all 10 of the Fire's Reserve League matches and score one goal and tallied two assists across 897 minutes.
Nolly was acquired by the Fire on Dec. 2, 2011 in a trade with Vancouver Whitecaps FC. The veteran 'keeper did not appear in a first team match for the Fire but made six appearances in MLS Reserve League play. The Littleton, Colo. native started and played the first half of the Fire's 1-0 loss to English Premier League side Aston Villa July 21.
Bone, Segares and Nolly are now eligible for the MLS Re-Entry Process. The first round of the MLS Re-Entry Draft is scheduled for Friday, Dec. 7 with the second round taking place the following Friday, Dec. 14.
Both Stage One and Stage Two drafts will be conducted in the same order as the traditional Waiver Draft.
Clubs must exercise the option for, or extend a Bona Fide Offer to, all players selected in Stage 1. Players that were out of contract may either accept or reject the Bona Fide Offer. Should a player reject the offer, the drafting club will hold the right of first refusal for that player in MLS. Players with option years left on their contract will automatically be added to the drafting club's roster.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 3, 2012
- LA Galaxy Make Six Players Available for Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 3, 2012 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs GK Jeff Attinella - Real Salt Lake
- Weekly Update: Rapids Players Begin Training with Derby - Colorado Rapids
- Re-Entry Process Eligible Player List Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Exercise 2013 Options on Eight Players - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Decline Options on Three Players - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Trades MF Will Johnson to Portland Timbers FC - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Atiba Harris in Trade with Vancouver Whitecaps - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Acquire International Roster Spot from Colorado Rapids for Striker Atiba Harris - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Will Johnson from Real Salt Lake for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Forward Fabian Espindola and Defender Jamison Olave - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Declines Options on Four Players - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Fabian Espindola and DF Jamison Olave to New York - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Decline Options on Palmer, Purdy - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Acquire Defender Eric Brunner from Portland Timbers in Exchange for Allocation Money - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from Houston for Defender Eric Brunner - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Trades Michael Harrington to Portland Timbers for Allocation Money - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Acquire Defender Michael Harrington from Sporting KC for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Defender Kosuke Kimura from Portland Timbers - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Acquire Allocation, Homegrown Rights for Bryan Gallego from New York - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Acquires Justin Braun from Real Salt Lake - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Justin Braun to Toronto FC for DF Aaron Maund - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Announce 2013 Preseason Plans - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Signs DF Chris Wingert and DF Tony Beltran to Contract Extensions - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Declines Contract Options on Four Players - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to host championship celebration on Monday night at The Home Depot Center - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.